hook size and weight for soft plastics

bkk

Hooksize shouid be ok, maybe a 3/0 or 4/0 woukd give you a bit better action, weight depends on how deep you're fishing and how much current etc...

Diezelz don't have a big tail kick compared to the swimmerz  

Not sure about kings but bonnies you'd be better targeting with metal slugs

29 minutes ago, dirvin21 said:

Hooksize shouid be ok, maybe a 3/0 or 4/0 woukd give you a bit better action, weight depends on how deep you're fishing and how much current etc...

Diezelz don't have a big tail kick compared to the swimmerz  

Not sure about kings but bonnies you'd be better targeting with metal slugs

wouldnt 3/0 or 4/0 be a bit too small tho because i think my 4" minnowz could be used with 5/0 but i have no idea about how it will affect its tail action, but due to heavier weight then maybe.

i do have chrome slices from kmart without changing its hooks and it actually had a flashy sticker instead of built in metal!
will chrome slices work for kings and bonnies then?

i do hope the minnowz pearl work as well tho bc then money wasted :(

1 hour ago, bkk said:

wouldnt 3/0 or 4/0 be a bit too small tho because i think my 4" minnowz could be used with 5/0 but i have no idea about how it will affect its tail action, but due to heavier weight then maybe.

i do have chrome slices from kmart without changing its hooks and it actually had a flashy sticker instead of built in metal!
will chrome slices work for kings and bonnies then?

i do hope the minnowz pearl work as well tho bc then money wasted :(

Bigger hooks go through more of the plastic giving it less movement, 

Chrome slices work really well on bonnies, I'll leave the kingie advice to the experts 

Pearl is definetly a goodcallround colour

19 hours ago, bkk said:

i was just wondering which hook size and weight i need for a zman diezel minnowz 5", i currently have a 5/0 hook size and 3/8oz
also btw will this lure catch kings or bonitos?

I rather jerkshad style minnow tails on my softplastics when targetting kings - though that's probably cause of the action I use - darting left and right, up and down (i.e. erratic) with pauses for drops. With a paddle tail they don't dart as much and of course more suited for a slow roll (where they excel with the beating tail). For the 3" to 4" minnow profile, I use 2/0 on a 1/4oz - maybe cause I have heaps of them, but seems to work with very few spat hooks.

On 4/23/2021 at 4:48 PM, anthman said:

I rather jerkshad style minnow tails on my softplastics when targetting kings - though that's probably cause of the action I use - darting left and right, up and down (i.e. erratic) with pauses for drops. With a paddle tail they don't dart as much and of course more suited for a slow roll (where they excel with the beating tail). For the 3" to 4" minnow profile, I use 2/0 on a 1/4oz - maybe cause I have heaps of them, but seems to work with very few spat hooks.

are u talking about the daiwa baitjunkie typa ones? so for the one i have right now, should it be be retrieved slowly?

On 4/22/2021 at 10:48 PM, dirvin21 said:

Bigger hooks go through more of the plastic giving it less movement, 

Chrome slices work really well on bonnies, I'll leave the kingie advice to the experts 

Pearl is definetly a goodcallround colour

will i have to change the treble hooks for the chrome slices because i heard they bend very easily but i might change them after they actually bend as i havent tried them out yet

On 4/22/2021 at 10:51 PM, dirvin21 said:

If you go on the tackle tactics website it has rigging guides and jighead selection for zman plastics and also plastic selection for fish species

thank you ive watched the videos and they have helped

• Like 1

7 hours ago, slothparade said:

For small kings that should work well, bigger ones you want the same in the 10" version. For bonito your better off using a chrome lure (like the ones from kmart) 

do u reckon pier 8 will produce or are there any suggestions to go to for kings and bonitos maybe even salmon

are there any soft plastics in 10”??

1 hour ago, bkk said:

will i have to change the treble hooks for the chrome slices because i heard they bend very easily but i might change them after they actually bend as i havent tried them out yet

Just don't go to hard and they shoukd be ok otherwise bkk spears are well priced and good quality 

12 hours ago, bkk said:

do u reckon pier 8 will produce or are there any suggestions to go to for kings and bonitos maybe even salmon

From personal experience and others I know lures don't work well off pier 8. Your better off going to blues Point reserve. When I was there in on Friday 16th a whole school of big kings just swam straight past live baits and lures. I have been trying lures everytime for anything off that pier but no luck.  Blues Point is the only spot I have seen people catching kings on lures. When I went last time I saw this guy using the interesting float with a flat bottom and a rounded top a bit bigger than a 50 c coin and about 50 lbs leader catch the biggest bonito I have ever seen. Not sure what bait he was using (he didn't understand English). 

12 hours ago, bkk said:

Yes there are 10" soft plastics. Under the bridge I heard is good for salmon. Not sure don't think I have actually caught one. 

8 hours ago, slothparade said:

From personal experience and others I know lures don't work well off pier 8. Your better off going to blues Point reserve. When I was there in on Friday 16th a whole school of big kings just swam straight past live baits and lures. I have been trying lures everytime for anything off that pier but no luck.  Blues Point is the only spot I have seen people catching kings on lures. When I went last time I saw this guy using the interesting float with a flat bottom and a rounded top a bit bigger than a 50 c coin and about 50 lbs leader catch the biggest bonito I have ever seen. Not sure what bait he was using (he didn't understand English). 

i have been to blues point just once and only luck there was a ten second bustup of kings, and nothing else after that. i haven't tried pier 8 but have seen many videos of success, which tempts me to try there one day. off at watsons bay i have caught bonito and king like that while trying to catch bream, using a floater like the man u saw and bait was a small strip of squid. 

8 hours ago, slothparade said:

Yes there are 10" soft plastics. Under the bridge I heard is good for salmon. Not sure don't think I have actually caught one. 

is under the bridge at milsons point? ive watched people catch kings and bonitos there, as well as lavendar bay

25 minutes ago, bkk said:

is under the bridge at milsons point? ive watched people catch kings and bonitos there, as well as lavendar bay

Yeah I have seen people catching things at milsons point and yes its under the bridge. Walsh is a pain with float, if there's any wind the line gets caught in others or the pylons. I think the videos must be filmed over multiple times. I have never seen anyone get anything decent there caught a nice bream, snapper, had a nice run (must have been a shark). Chicken breast is the best bait and use berly. Apparently live bait works the best but from experince and watching people you either get nothing or just the head of the bait. fresh yakka strips seem to work. try a live bait if you want i had big problems with birds when i tried. Goodluck 

On 4/25/2021 at 7:54 PM, slothparade said:

Yeah I have seen people catching things at milsons point and yes its under the bridge. Walsh is a pain with float, if there's any wind the line gets caught in others or the pylons. I think the videos must be filmed over multiple times. I have never seen anyone get anything decent there caught a nice bream, snapper, had a nice run (must have been a shark). Chicken breast is the best bait and use berly. Apparently live bait works the best but from experince and watching people you either get nothing or just the head of the bait. fresh yakka strips seem to work. try a live bait if you want i had big problems with birds when i tried. Goodluck 

thanks for the info i will definitely keep that in mind.

this video shows some good action at pier 8

On 4/25/2021 at 9:30 PM, JamoDamo said:

Sluggo's, slapstix, zman jerkshad xxl as far as I know. There would without a doubt be more

do those lures work better than the zman diezel minnowz for kings?

39 minutes ago, bkk said:

do those lures work better than the zman diezel minnowz for kings?

I'm no expert on kings.. but these are what I have seen people using for kingies. I usually fish finesse for bream and flatties so can't really help you there but i'm sure both would work well the 10" plastics and the minnowz