Hawkesbury Mud-Crabbing

KerrytheCrabCatcherer

Hey all

New user here. Wasn't sure which forum to post in, so I posted here.

Tried mud-crabbing for the first time after watching a youtube video. Headed down to wisemans ferry down singleton road to try my luck near the river and mangroves but couldn't even spot a crab! Did get bit by a thousand mozzies. 

Was looking for some tips and tricks in catching mudcrabs in this area. Are crab traps necessary? And can you only catch these buggers during the night (I went during the day).

Cheers

Kerry 

Welcome to this site, Kerry.  Try using the search function.  There are a number of articles about Mud crabs in the Hawkesbury.  I feel that after the recent flood, there will not  be very many crabs around Wisemans Ferry, at this point in time. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Up in the tropics it's OK to just go looking for them, down this way it's not quite so easy, traps are your best option, make sure of the laws first!! Traps will get pinched pretty quick, so set late afternoon and check/bring home early the next morning.

• Like 1

If its not to far try berrowra waters and go up river to the ship wreck and there are some big crabs in there. Pots get pinched/ emptied so either keep an eye on them or drop them when its dark and come back early morning. 

Finding them on foot is hard in mangroves. Me and 2 friends on a duke of ed camp (school camp) went in the mangroves for some, saw a huge one then we all got stuck waist deep in mud. You can try looking under little rock caves or wade around at low tide. I have see crabs at Wisemans ferry but wasn't really interested in messing with them again lol 

goodluck, try some of those smaller creeks 

• Like 1