Surf casting at night

Mr_clownface

Well seeing as you only have less 2 hours to go I guess we will hear if it works or not 🙄.

Species like mulloway work on vibration in the water through there lateral lines as well as sight & scent.

Life is like a box of chocolates...................  

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Haha 1

Tailor can be a pain when fishing for jew and I have caught them on plastics at night, so I can't see them not taking a metal which they also like.  Not  so sure about jewies as they usually hit a slow moving lure.  Ron 

Although I haven't tried at night so to speak. I've picked tailor up on metals pre dawn when the light would've been less than thrown off by a full moon.

That being said, night fishing under a full moon has never a great time for tailor off the beach. At least not for me.

• Like 1

On 6/30/2021 at 10:55 AM, Houdini said:

What style of metal lures are you using?

I would try something like a Mr Twisty that has a strong action at a lower speed!

Some halco twisty ,halco rooster and a few others I have in my box

1 hour ago, Mr_clownface said:

Some halco twisty ,halco rooster and a few others I have in my box

there are also some 40g + hardbody lures that might be up to the task of casting a reasonable distance. 

Samiki flash minow,  Zerek cavallia, Storm so run heavy 

good action at a slower speed than a metal

while low light levels are prime time for fish to feed I think higher speed metals in very low light defeat the objective of not being visible enough, unless you actually get the lure right in front of the fishes nose. 

when fishing in the morning I use minnow style lures before first light because of their vibration qualities and action at slower speeds, then surface lures when the sky starts to brighten because they are visual attraction lures then after the sun has fully risen I use metals or any other lures. 

In the afternoon go the other way into full night darkness.

While ever you have a lure in the water you're a chance at a fish 

while you have an attractive/appropriate lure in prime fish habitat water you are increasing your chances.  

I usually make my own lures. For low light conditions, i use irridescent material. (Usually found in gift packaging material , check out the party and craft departments of kmart etc  l). 

These lures throw off and shine in very low light.