Advice please- Penn Prevail

Maniac

Hi guys,

I’m looking at getting a Penn prevail 15kg-37kg for chasing Mulloway. Has anyone else used one this heavy?looking for some feedback. I usually fish live yakkas or Tailor off the beach and if not live large dead baits. 
I am after the 15-37kg for the casting weight but don’t want to end up regretting the purchase.

cheers,

john

2 hours ago, Maniac said:

Hi guys,

I’m looking at getting a Penn prevail 15kg-37kg for chasing Mulloway. Has anyone else used one this heavy?looking for some feedback. I usually fish live yakkas or Tailor off the beach and if not live large dead baits. 
I am after the 15-37kg for the casting weight but don’t want to end up regretting the purchase.

cheers,

john

havent used one that heavy, but knowing the strength of the 10-15kg the 15-37 must be huge. personally i dont see the point in using a rod that heavy but i guess if you need it for the big baits it makes sense

• Like 2

I have the first Penn Prevail 12ft 6-12kg with a Penn spinfisher V6500. Great combo for the beach. Stops anything.

The Penn Prevail 2 is a better rod, but you will not need 15-37KG, just overkill.

Shop around for a good price.

Cheers.

• Like 2

Are you looking to cast these live baits, let them swim out themselves or slide bait them?

I personally haven't fished one but going by the stats the 15-37 may be the rod for you if you're set on a Prevail and looking at casting a legal size tailor. As said above, a rod that can cast 350g must be an absolute beast, but necessary to cast such a heavy bait.

If you're looking more to swim or slide bait your livies out, I think the 6-12 rod would be a more suitable choice. That's of course unless you want to beach some large sharks, which you'll most likely encounter using big baits.

Its a pity Penn don't make a Prevail somewhere between these two rods as their is a huge difference between them in specs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Green Hornet said:

Are you looking to cast these live baits, let them swim out themselves or slide bait them?

I personally haven't fished one but going by the stats the 15-37 may be the rod for you if you're set on a Prevail and looking at casting a legal size tailor. As said above, a rod that can cast 350g must be an absolute beast, but necessary to cast such a heavy bait.

If you're looking more to swim or slide bait your livies out, I think the 6-12 rod would be a more suitable choice. That's of course unless you want to beach some large sharks, which you'll most likely encounter using big baits.

Its a pity Penn don't make a Prevail somewhere between these two rods as their is a huge difference between them in specs.

I cast whole yakkas and swim everything else out or slide bait. 

I see they have a 13ft 8-20kg which I am thinking of going with, just don’t want to regret my choice… 

12 minutes ago, Maniac said:

I cast whole yakkas and swim everything else out or slide bait. 

I see they have a 13ft 8-20kg which I am thinking of going with, just don’t want to regret my choice… 

for me 10-15kg wasnt enough to cast whole yakkas very far, but im not exactly the biggest bloke out there... if you arent casting huge live tailor 15-37 is definitely overkill imo, and 8-20 might be the go for you

• Like 1

I have used a 15-37kg rod with a Spinfisher 950SSM and it was the worst rod and reel I have ever picked up- hard to cast unless casting 250gm+ and felt like I was holding a broom handle not a fishing rod. I have fished the beaches ALL my life and the most I have ever needed to use is a 8-12kg can ping 8oz leads and whole yakkas a blasted long way. I can cast my MT9144 glass rod further with same weight than my mates who have ABU, Daiwa and Shimano high end graphite rods...

My personal opinion- Graphite rods are completely over-rated off the beaches and off the stones unless you are throwing big plastics or hard bodies/metals around- for big baits I will go old skool fibreglass or composite EVERY time.

I recommend a Gary Howard MT9144 or Bulldog MT7177 for long distance casting, it will outlast, outperform and do everything better than any Penn (or any other graphite rod) on the market and prob a helluva lot cheaper.

As a fishing guide I only tech my clients with bait and we use Glass or composite rods 100% no graphite and I have been using glass rods for over 40years off the beaches - I have tried several "so called" top shelf graphite rods and they just dont do it for me personally, I dont like that action of the feel of graphite throwng any kind of bait in any conditions, but thats just me. For throwing lures I ONLY use carbon/graphite rods so I am not being a snob about my gear I just know what I like to use and what works for me.

Good luck finding the right rod for what you want mate

Edited by reelaxation
  • Like 3

On 8/10/2021 at 5:31 PM, reelaxation said:

I have used a 15-37kg rod with a Spinfisher 950SSM and it was the worst rod and reel I have ever picked up- hard to cast unless casting 250gm+ and felt like I was holding a broom handle not a fishing rod. I have fished the beaches ALL my life and the most I have ever needed to use is a 8-12kg can ping 8oz leads and whole yakkas a blasted long way. I can cast my MT9144 glass rod further with same weight than my mates who have ABU, Daiwa and Shimano high end graphite rods...

My personal opinion- Graphite rods are completely over-rated off the beaches and off the stones unless you are throwing big plastics or hard bodies/metals around- for big baits I will go old skool fibreglass or composite EVERY time.

I recommend a Gary Howard MT9144 or Bulldog MT7177 for long distance casting, it will outlast, outperform and do everything better than any Penn (or any other graphite rod) on the market and prob a helluva lot cheaper.

As a fishing guide I only tech my clients with bait and we use Glass or composite rods 100% no graphite and I have been using glass rods for over 40years off the beaches - I have tried several "so called" top shelf graphite rods and they just dont do it for me personally, I dont like that action of the feel of graphite throwng any kind of bait in any conditions, but thats just me. For throwing lures I ONLY use carbon/graphite rods so I am not being a snob about my gear I just know what I like to use and what works for me.

Good luck finding the right rod for what you want mate

Thanks got the advice mate, I was afraid of it feeling like a broom handle. 

I’ll also be sure to check out the glass rods you mentioned.

cheers

I have a Wilson 13ft 1pce. Great rod, but heavy.

I fine Carbon and Graphite rods much lighter and stronger to use.

The new Abu Garcia Veritas V4 12ft I bought is an absolute weapon.

Cheers.

Edited by Rebel
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Rebel said:

Glass rods break and snap. Beaware.

Never heard of a glass rod breaking unless high sticking it, which all rods will break. Have broken plenty of graphite rods over the years casting slightly above the cast weight recommendations and using oversized line - You would have to be doing something seriously stupid to break a glass rod, so much so its almost unheard of and I am yet to meet any serious fisho who fishes the stones or off the suds who have broken one...

Like I said in my previous post if using lures go graphite but dont bother with rods you need around 250gm just to cast them like the Prevail, go an ABU Veritas or Daiwa in around 10-15kg with up to 100gm cast weight. if using bait go Composite or Glass- yes they are heavier, but have more grunt than a graphite stick and you can still use it for light lure work no problems if spinning metals or hard bodies for bonnies, striped tuna and other pelagics.

Good luck mate with the purchase

Tight lines

Anthony

2 hours ago, Rebel said:

Glass rods do break, especially when rock fishing.

Never broken a Carbon or a Graphite rod and I have several.

Cheers.

Same here. I own a stack of high end graphite rods, including beach rods set up for an Alvey and never broken one.

The only rod I've ever broken while fishing was full 'glass and it had to be my one and only bloody Sportex, didn't it.

Not saying graphite rods don't break. They just don't as long as you treat them right.

• Like 1