Trolling Motor mounting ideas.

Sea Ranger

Hi Raiders,

I am in SW Sydney lockdown like many of you are. This gives one too much time to think about spending money.  I have a 499 Stacer Sea Ranger.  I’m thinking of a bow mounted trolling motor for when we are allowed to get out again.  I’m not overly keen on getting a plate welded on.  Concerned about it not being done right.  I’ve had very little luck with tradies and quality work.  Looking at my bow I had an idea.  The anchor well is a plastic tub.  If I remove the tub and have a slide in unit made that sits on the keel and bolts to the top deck I could have a mounting pad on that unit.  I think there is enough room under the anchor well and behind the deck storage for battery(s).  Has anyone done something similar?  Is this a hair brain idea?

Bear

423687E4-CD68-4647-B820-F728C3E001E9.jpeg

How is the anchor well fastened ? is it easily removed ? , held with pop rivets or screws nuts and bolts ?. Would there be access to the inside of the well ?.

I am thinking IF you don't want a bracket welded onto the boat, maybe you could fasten a bracket to the side of the well and have it sorta like a giant angle iron that fastens to the inside of the anchor well and forms a bracket that the lecky could bolt to. 

Maybe IF the anchor well is not easily removed perhaps some large pop rivets could be used to hold the bracket in place but would require several pops to hold securely. You could have the bracket actually sitting on the top of the bow to take the weight so that you would only need to secure the bracket against flex that the lecky would create .

2023741955_bowforleckie2.thumb.jpg.f771d9f41c2e4b437aee04f5cf282c06.jpg

Just a thought.

Frank

Edited by frankS
added photo

I dont have any real experience with them but from a couple of past threads I did look into mounting different solutions.

If I am looking for ideas I usually scour the internet & just see what solutions others have come up with.

You dont nessacarily have to weld a plate on but you can fashion a mounting bolt on solution to suit.

Having an ally deck could possibly make it easier than FG but I would also fit an under plate to support the deck as well if possible.

There are also rail mounts as well but you would need to get it modified & it sounds like thats not an option if you dont have someone you can trust to do the job.

Edited by kingie chaser

Sea Ranger,  I understand your worry about tradies and what job would end up like. 

I note the area you live. I would take your boat down to 

https://www.swmarineau.com

1/40 Stennett Road, Ingleburn 

Talk with Nick (very experienced) and Stephen (Nick trained).

They are both really good men and very helpful. Have a chat with them over what can be done.  After your good chat with them, you can make your mind up about what to do. 

I’m a firm believer in getting it done the right way, the first time.  

Cheers and good luck. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/8/2021 at 8:13 AM, shakey55 said:

Sea Ranger,  I understand your worry about tradies and what job would end up like. 

I note the area you live. I would take your boat down to 

https://www.swmarineau.com

1/40 Stennett Road, Ingleburn 

Talk with Nick (very experienced) and Stephen (Nick trained).

They are both really good men and very helpful. Have a chat with them over what can be done.  After your good chat with them, you can make your mind up about what to do. 

I’m a firm believer in getting it done the right way, the first time.  

Cheers and good luck. 

Hey Shakey,  I have used Nick for years for services.  I hadn’t thought for some reason to ask him about this.  Great idea

• Like 1