Advice on a Good 2-4kg combo

Mattg1

6 hours ago, maccapacca said:

Yeah I’d honestly don’t know, I mean try some bait aswell as lure next time.Because if nothings really taking the bait I don’t see the point in working lures.

Just my opinion but I’m also relatively new to lure fishing so take the advice with a grain of salt if you get what I mean

The first few fish on a lure is a very hard nut to crack. I can tell you that from experience. When I was your age, I still couldn't really believe that lures worked. I had caught an undersized tailor at 17 and that was it for a good six years.

After you get a few fish, you become more confident and will also develop your intuition as to where fish might be and what they might take. You also are continuously learning. Over the past 12 months I've learned some things about currents and eddies which have improved my ability to hone in on better fish. This is after decades of (often mediocre) fishing.

There are definitely some spots that lend themselves better to lure fishing than others. For instance, I struggle with your typical deepwater harbour spots, unless I happen upon a school of pelagics within casting distance. Not that the fish aren't there and won't take a lure, it's just that I haven't spent enough time casting lures in those environments.

As I've mentioned before, Iron Cove on a high tide is a great area to work lures. It's one of those areas where if you follow the advice everyone has given you, I almost guarantee you will find a fish or two. Literally almost anywhere in the bay, but I prefer the spots towards the back of it, from around Rodd Pt to Le Montage. What you will notice there is that 99% of anglers you bump into in that area are exclusively fishing lures.

I think when you are old enough, you could really benefit with some in-person help to show you the ropes. But hopefully you've cracked the code by that time anyway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maccapacca said:

Agree with 100% of what you said, and I also guarantee you that the next time I go fishing it will be a rod point.Probably on one of the little beaches on either side with a 3.2inch minnow and I won’t use bait the entire session.

Odd thought, saw this guy work the new Daiwa range of plastics (it’s like a bug kinda thing) by tapping the butt of his rod and holding it lightly with his other hand.Seemed to work pretty well and I’m finding it a bit hard to create action in the lure like lifting it up and down the water Column.

And I still haven’t worked out how the lure feels when it hits the ground, but I remember you talking about that previously so I’ll go back and write a few notes 

Sounds a bit like a dropshot technique. You can get a similar action by gently shaking the rod tip. Works really well with jerk Shads and power minnows as well as the creature baits like you mention. Just experiment with your lure in the shallows or a pool and you will work it out.