Advice on a Good 2-4kg combo

Mattg1

G'day fishos

I'm an amateur fisherman getting into the sport  would like some advice on a good 2-4kg combo around the $200-$250 mark. I don't often get a chance to get out fishing and don't want to break the bank. I purely fish land based and I'm slowly starting to fish with soft plastics and lures.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks raiders 

Hi Mattg,

In short I'd be suggesting a 7 foot to 7.5 foot graphite 2 piece rod with 2500 Shimano reel or similar size from other brands.

As my retrieve technique is rod tip down I prefer a short butt so the butt doesn't hit against the meat of the forearm. You want all graphite as it is lighter and a bit stiffer than the fibreglass or semi-fibreglass rods which means that every twitch can get transmitted down the line to the lure. You also feel the bites too.

If you are really on a budget then look at the Shimano Sienna Quickfire 7 foot combo with 2500 reel. This retails for about $99.

If you are happy to mix and match then as a rod I'd suggest a Shimano Raider 762 2-4kg 2-12gram rod which has been going for $80 as there is a new series coming out.

My preference these days is the Atomic ArrowZ AAS-270UL which has a 3-10lb line rating and 3-14 lure rating. Generally around the $130 but have seen them for $100 on special.

If budget is an issue for the reel then consider the Shimano Sienna 2500 but if you can go a bit more I'd suggest the Shimano Sedona 2500 (RRP $99). You will feel the difference between the two.

Before you go out from the shop check the rod for damage and operate the reel fast and slowly to check for rough spots. They are a fantastic reel for the price but they are still mass produced and not their premium range.

Don't use mono as it has about a 10% stretch compared to the claimed 1% of braid. It doesn't casast as far as an equivalent rated braid and you lose some sensitivity. For braid I usually recommend PowerPro or Berkley X5 in the 4lb or a skinny 6lb like Daiwa J braid or Shimano Kairiki as I am familiar with them. Even if you use another braid (make sure it is woven rather than fused) have a feel of these to get an idea of the thickness we are looking for. The line should be spooled up so it finishes about 1mm shy of the lip which is why backing is needed and I suggest the local tackle store. Braid cost $20 to $32. The backing and leader should probably be 8lb (another $18).

Lures are another story.

D.

Edited by DerekD
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Mate. I have a Shakespear Ugly stick Gold 6' 3-5kg cast weight 15-40 gram mod bc60A used but still in good nick with a Daiwa mag force V 103hla left hand baitcaster in as good as new condition spooled with mono line you could have for $200. Or a choice of a couple of 2500 threadline reels for $ 100.

Baitcaster is the way to go and everyone wants the left hand wind these days.

Frank

• Like 2

Thanks for all your advice guys I really appreciate it.

Derekd thanks for the in-depth advice I dare say I'll be building a rod and reel from what you have suggested. And take the leap to braid as I have only ever used mono.

Thanks also franks I don't think I'm ready just yet to jump into a baitcaster.

And rebel I have had my eye on the veritas range.

Also going from braid to a mono leader is a swivel OK? Or is it best to learn a braid to mono knot eg. Fg knot.

Thanks once again guys

2 hours ago, Mattg1 said:

Also going from braid to a mono leader is a swivel OK? Or is it best to learn a braid to mono knot eg. Fg knot.

Most fishos use some kind of braid to mono knot to attach their leader. Depending on your line class (looks like you’re fishing light enough), you can often get away with a uni knot. FG knots are great, but for 6lb leader is probably overkill. They aren’t that easy to tie - probably better you master a uni knot and spend more time fishing for now.

A swivel is probably fine, but there are two problems with using them for braid to mono/flurocarbon attachements.

The first is that a swivel can easily go into the rod tip and the sound is a bit disconcerting + affects casting performance (whether or not it damages the rod tip is another matter). 

The second concerns not being able to fish longer leaders. There was a discussion some weeks ago with @DerekD and others about the merits of long vs short leaders. In this thread, the need for a rod length leader (or longer) for bread and butter SP fishing was questioned and it is likely that it isn’t always necessary. That said, I still fish with a rod length + a little more, but this is probably more out of habit than rational thought.

• Like 1

Thanks for all your advice guys I really appreciate it.

Derekd thanks for the in-depth advice I dare say I'll be building a rod and reel from what you have suggested. And take the leap to braid as I have only ever used mono.

Thanks also franks I don't think I'm ready just yet to jump into a baitcaster.

And rebel I have had my eye on the veritas range.

Thanks once again guys

Thanks for your insight little flatty. Really appreciate it

• Like 1

On 11/11/2021 at 10:09 PM, Mattg1 said:

While ok I would strongly recommend avoiding this. Best off taking the time to learn a joiner knot as you will probably end up doing so sooner or later so it may as well be sooner.

With the light gear and a 10gram halco silver twisty you have an opportunity for relatively long casts to reach out to the schools of pelagics which frequent the bays and harbours in the warmer months. I often find the faster you retrieve it the better your chances of hooking up and especially in the case of bonito. If you are slightly distracted and not watching the swivel coming in then the sound of a swivel hitting the top runner is soul crushing. Cracking the carbide in the runners creates a razor like edge which can damage braid.

In my case at the end of each session the rod goes into a protective case and the reel into a bag. I have no issue in running a joiner knot through the guides. A swivel is a bit more of a pain trying to get it through the runners.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Hi, 

Just an update I went with the @DerekD arrowz/sedona combo I spooled it with 10lb braid, such a nice set up so thanks for the advice. I  have had a few trips out land based using different lures hadn't caught anything. Just after Xmas I caught my first fish on plastics a 46cm flathead. A reward for effort! Was caught on a zmanz midnight oil paddle tail.

Any suggestions any other soft plastics for Sydney land based fishing?

Thank you

IMG-20220104-WA0035.jpg

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Mattg1 said:

Hi, 

Just an update I went with the @DerekD arrowz/sedona combo I spooled it with 10lb braid, such a nice set up so thanks for the advice. I  have had a few trips out land based using different lures hadn't caught anything. Just after Xmas I caught my first fish on plastics a 46cm flathead. A reward for effort! Was caught on a zmanz midnight oil paddle tail.

Any suggestions any other soft plastics for Sydney land based fishing?

Thank you

IMG-20220104-WA0035.jpg

Good to hear. If you follow good advice, you will succeed!

That is a superb flathead for a 1st fish on a plastic!

If I can suggest one lure, it is a Berkeley 3in Power Minnow in any colour (watermelon is a good start). It is definitely not fashionable, as it's been around for my entire luring career (16 years), but it has caught myself and many others countless fish since then. It is a good alternative to a paddle tail to have in your arsenal. With good rod work, it imitates wounded baitfish and prawns very well. I've had everything from bream, flathead, kings and even a barra take them.

Edited by Little_Flatty
  • Like 3

Thanks @Little_Flatty I will definitely give the power minnow a go! I'm just researching abit about what jig heads (eg. Hook size and weight) and trying to rig them properly as I'm not spot on with it yet. I do have some other scented gulp soft plastics to try. What is your stance on scent do you feel it is necessary? 

14 minutes ago, Mattg1 said:

Thanks @Little_Flatty I will definitely give the power minnow a go! I'm just researching abit about what jig heads (eg. Hook size and weight) and trying to rig them properly as I'm not spot on with it yet. I do have some other scented gulp soft plastics to try. What is your stance on scent do you feel it is necessary? 

I am a fairly extensive user of gulp minnows, so much that I buy them in bulk bottles. I like them because I don't need to worry about scent. But they are difficult to handle without getting gulp juice everywhere.

I don't think that scent does any harm for sure, and I definitely feel more confident when using S-Factor attractant or gulp lures. I use scent or gulp unless I am feeling extremely lazy.

For the Power Minnows, I would say about a size 1 or 2 hook. With a 3 inch power minnow, you want to allow at least one third of the tail flapping around for best action. Sometimes you  do get tail nippers, but I find most of the time, on a decent hit, fish are quite capable of taking in the whole lure.

Jighead weight really depends on where and when you are fishing, specifically depth, wind and tide/current. What you are looking for is the ability to get down to the fish (mostly the bottom) with as little weight as necessary and also to be able to stay in touch with your lure (as little slack line as possible).

1/8oz is probably a good all-round starting point, but I routinely go down to 1/16, 1/12 and 1/32oz if it is calm, shallow and windless and up to 1/4oz if it's very windy or the current is strong. I'm convinced that lighter jigheads (and baits for that matter) are more attractive and give the fish a better chance to see your lure. But the compromise is casting distance, and therefore water covered. Whether this is a problem or not depends on the spot fished. For instance, if the fish are holding under a dropoff 3m out from shore, then you only need to cast 5-10m.

Edited by Little_Flatty
  • Like 3

I definitely understand where you are coming from about the gulp juice on the hands! Also had one of the bags leak into my tackle bag didn't smell nice that's for sure!

I have purchased a few different types of jigheads but threw the packets out as I put them in my tackle case. So not sure what I have I did buy a few weedless jigheads not to sure how to rig them up. I definitely feel I prefer a heavier weight just to assist with my casting. In saying that the braid has helped with distance.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mattg1 said:

I definitely understand where you are coming from about the gulp juice on the hands! Also had one of the bags leak into my tackle bag didn't smell nice that's for sure!

I have purchased a few different types of jigheads but threw the packets out as I put them in my tackle case. So not sure what I have I did buy a few weedless jigheads not to sure how to rig them up. I definitely feel I prefer a heavier weight just to assist with my casting. In saying that the braid has helped with distance.

I am also an extensive user of EWG worm hooks rigged weedless. I find I can fish snaggy territory much more aggressively, but the other huge benefit of using them is that you can swap out different weights for the same size plastic and hook. This gives you much more versatility for a given amount of space in your tacklebox, as compared to having 4 different jighead weights x 4 different hook sizes for instance. For a 3 inch power minnow, a size 1 Gamakatsu EWG hook is perfect.

I know that a lot of pros fish only with jigheads. They reckon they can 'feel' for snags or avoid them by bouncing the lure just above the bottom. I just don't have their X-ray vision and feather touched.

BUT I'm going to contradict myself here...while you are starting out, keep it simple and let your lure/hook collection develop slowly as your experience necessitates.

• Like 1

@maccapacca most of my jigheads are TT lures I have lost a fair few to snags so may just buy a couple different types and see what suits.

@Little_Flatty the ewg looks interesting may give it a go down the track. So you just put a sinker above the hook? I have lost a fair few jighead/lures to snags as I mainly fish around the lane Cove area as I'm in ryde. So lots of snaggy spots! I definitely need to put in more hours and get some more experience. 

Not much, the flatly I posted was lake Macquarie. Best I've got out of lane Cove was 34cm bream  on servo prawn. Gone out plenty of times and have caught nothing at all.. so not to productive but it's local and good to get out for a quick hour or 2.

I'm a huge fan of the Berkley Power Minnows as they are so versatile for the way I fish.

Assuming the 3 inch minnows I use the following TT Tournament Jig heads (yellow box) with the bullet heads.

• 1/8 oz size 1H (slightly heavier wire) for the longer hang times
  • 1/6 oz size 1H for a balance between hang time and casting distance.
  • 1/4 oz size 1H for casting distance (when chasing flathead and pelagics)

TT Lures Tournament Series Jigheads – fishin.com.au

The words "power bait" are on the back of these soft plastics and the hook will generally come out around the "R" in power.

Rig them as straight as possible to avoid a bias to swim to a particular side. For pelagics work them with a quick flick and put slack briefly into the line to get them to dart from side to side.

Edited by DerekD
  • Like 3

PM sent so check your inbox. I'm taking a Fishraider out in the Five Dock area to cover topwater bream tomorrow (Saturday) morning if you are available and interested.

Edited by DerekD
  • Like 3

Just have to thank all of you for your advice and helping a new fisho out. 

Your guys knowledge is greatly appreciated.

Have to give a few of those spots a try.

I have fished cunninghams reach a couple times only on soft plastics with no luck just snags unfortunately.

• Like 1

Last time I was out there I saw some fishing jumping not sure if it was mullet might have to go down with a bit of bread next time.

I did have a bit of a flick with a plastic under the bridge at high tide with no luck but could also be due to my inexperience and choice of plastics etc.