Merimbula fishing

Ali2196

Hey guys, heading down to Merimbula next week and going to be fishing areas from eden to tahtra. It’s my first time down south and I plan on targeting snappers, squid and kings with spin gear off the rocks. I’ve heard Merimbula wharf is a good start but I’d rather miss the crowds and hit the ledges as it could be a nuisance sometimes. So I was wondering if anyone could give me a pointer or 2 on which areas to give a go and try for some success. I love finding new spots myself and scouting areas trying to find sea beds and good reefs but with such little time I’m just trying to make the most of it.. thanks for all the help!

You'd be hard pressed to find a better area for the species on your list than the ledges around Green Cape. Check out google earth for particular spots.

Its been quite some time since I've been down there, but its every bit as good as the Jervis Bay rocks, with the same reputation for producing BIG fish.

Tathra wharf is another spot to try if not too crowded.

• Thanks 1

Merimbula wharf will normally have people fishing from it but the rock ledge out from the wharf tends to rarely have anyone fishing it. Casting big hardbodies can often turn on big kings, in fact a king of around 130cm was landed last week from the wharf and these same fish move along the rock platform.

I often see snapper while in the water around that area but no real big ones. The local tackle stores should be able to point you in the right direction down there, both complete angler and tackle world are in town.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pulpit Rock, just north of green cape lighthouse is pretty good, good access and deep water. A lot of the beaches have salmon around. Mogereeka for bream and flatties. Squid off either Merimbula or Tathra wharf or Kianinny (off the headland opposite the boat ramps)

The tri-estuary challenge is on the 20th and 21st Nov so there should be a few fisherman about.

J

12 hours ago, Dr Gee said:

Hi guys, what stickbaits/poppers would you recommend using to fish at Merimbula? Also would colour make a difference? What would be the best time and place to target kings there? 

If there are kingfish about they don't tend to be picky on colours, in saying that I tend to buy most of my lures in a golden yakka or blue pilchard colour as I can use those on some fish that are more picky. I would look at what weight lures suit your outfits and go with what ever you like the look of in that weight class. There have been a few jews over the weekend taken from beaches down that way in deep gutters with freshwater run off from lakes, soft plastics have been doing the damage.

• Like 1