Identifying an Eddy

Little_Flatty

Hi Raiders,

I was wondering if anyone has a good resource (online or otherwise) or can offer any tips on identifying eddies, particularly in the context of an estuary.

I've just realised my two favourite local spots - where I have experienced a bit of success - are the sites of two big eddies on certain tides, sitting just outside of quite a strong current on the Parramatta river. It only twigged for me over the past couple of sessions when I was observing the movement of floating leaves/rubbish in the water, noticing it was moving slowly in quite a large circle, in the opposite direction of the current. All of a sudden it started to make more sense why fish were hanging in those spots.

To be honest, I've never paid much attention to current in the past. I want to up my game a bit in this respect and get a bit better at understanding the interaction between tides/current and structure, and how fish use it to their advantage.

Thanks

Mike

Think about where you'd stand to get out of the wind, apply the same principle to the current and structure around where you're fishing and that's where you'll find an eddy. Look for swirling, stirred up water and as you mentioned, debris and weed not flowing with the regular current.

Obviously you'll get a large eddy on the downcurrent side of structure, but you'll also get a smaller one on the upcurrent side where the water "splits" around a large rock or bridge pylon. In tight on the upcurrent side is where you'll often find the larger, feeding fish as they try to get first in line to the food being washed down to them.

You'll also find eddies in close where the current flows along a break or rockwall. This is why such locations are always popular with luderick fishermen.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 12/10/2021 at 4:02 PM, Green Hornet said:

Think about where you'd stand to get out of the wind, apply the same principle to the current and structure around where you're fishing and that's where you'll find an eddy. Look for swirling, stirred up water and as you mentioned, debris and weed not flowing with the regular current

Great analogy & well explained 

• Thanks 1