An idea for jigheads

Little_Flatty

Hi Raiders,

This is just a brain fart, but I was wondering if anyone has ever tried this.

1) Purchase some bare jig hooks like this:

image.png.7a294a047e916b594a5bac585f3f3344.png

2) Equipped themselves with a set of removeable split shot like this:

image.png.126fd62f166db2c01eb004ee8a0557ff.png

3) Crimped removable split shot onto the jig hook, rigged a plastic and then started fishing.

That way one could interchange weights based on current. My local waters on the Parra vary wildly in conditions if you walk 100m one way (wild current, deeper water), as opposed to the next (slow moving shallow water in a bay). That is my reasoning for dreaming up such an idea. It might also be cheaper in theory than purchasing a whole lot of jig heads.

The one thing that I think could put a spanner in the works could be if the removable split shot creates a funny action for the plastic.

Interested to get some thoughts. Surely I can't be the first to think of this.

Have you considered nail weights? These achieve a similar outcome but go into the plastic, not attached to the hook. 
I’d imagine the action would be affected by the placement of the weight. but a thin nail may distribute that weight more evenly than a split shot. While you’re looking at nail weights, check out the Neko rig which may interest you.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Mike Sydney said:

Have you considered nail weights? These achieve a similar outcome but go into the plastic, not attached to the hook. 
I’d imagine the action would be affected by the placement of the weight. but a thin nail may distribute that weight more evenly than a split shot. While you’re looking at nail weights, check out the Neko rig which may interest you.  

Thanks Mike, I haven't heard of nail weights before, nor have I heard of the Neko rig. Gives me some food for thought.

6 minutes ago, Mike Sydney said:

TT snakelockz Jigheads also have detachable weights as well allowing you to swap them out. I looked at them for weedless but the hooks were a little large for my taste at 2/0 and up.
24C2DA96-402E-4B85-8836-94D45FBCF37F.thumb.jpeg.ceb25add2f5451a533127e9815a40124.jpeg

Yep, good call - I’m already an avid user of Snakelockz. Some of the areas I fish are very snaggy, so they save me a lot of wasted time re-rigging, as well as allowing me to fish the shallow rocky areas more confidently (sometimes I find fish there).

I tend to just buy the weights without the hook (you need to go searching for them), and use other brands of weedless hooks (e.g. Gamakatsu) as I find them cheaper and I can get smaller sizes (I tend to use sizes 2, 1, 1/0 and 2/0 for most of my plastics). Only issue with the Snakelockz weights is that sometimes the wire on the head is too thick for the eyes of certain hooks, so you got to watch that when buying hooks. When I can’t rig a hook with the snakelockz, I just rig it Texas style with a bullet weight down to the hook.