Cocky feathers for bait

blaxland

Hello Raiders, I once read that a yellow cocky feather with a octopus tentacle on the same hook was a gun kingfish bait. I have a couple of Sulphur Crests visit me regularly for a feed but thats another story. I have collected a few feathers and Im thinking of sticking a couple to a plastics jig and having a go. Has anybody tried it and how should I stick them cheers Blaxland.

Any type of feather can be used but some have a better pulsating action.  There are hundreds of youtube sites on fly tying that will show you how to use a thin thread to bind feathers onto hooks.  I use rod binding thread or cotton.  When finished coat with clear epoxy or nail polish.  Good luck.   Ron 

Pretty sure thats flyfishing-ha ha. Seroiusly though the old feather jig has been around for a million years-caught heaps trolling them over the years-as for kings an ocie tentacle is always a great bait for them-just skin it first and rig it like a soft plastic, then cable tie the tentacle so it stays lined up in the hook.

This is one of my earlier skutes made with a brown feather & some green bucktail.

Plenty of us use many types of feathers in tying.

I remember an episode of hook line & sinker where the guys set a challenge & one of the guys used some hair cut from his dog to make a lure..............& it caught fish.

I don't have a dog which is lucky for it because it would probably be bald by now 🤔 😅 

20201225_100911.thumb.jpg.b1efe1d055b80b904a93990005539627.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, campr said:

Any type of feather can be used but some have a better pulsating action.  There are hundreds of youtube sites on fly tying that will show you how to use a thin thread to bind feathers onto hooks.  I use rod binding thread or cotton.  When finished coat with clear epoxy or nail polish.  Good luck.   Ron 

Thanks mate I was hoping not to tie but guess Ill give it a go

22 hours ago, PaddyT said:

Pretty sure thats flyfishing-ha ha. Seroiusly though the old feather jig has been around for a million years-caught heaps trolling them over the years-as for kings an ocie tentacle is always a great bait for them-just skin it first and rig it like a soft plastic, then cable tie the tentacle so it stays lined up in the hook.

Illl have to try that with the tentacle  

21 hours ago, scottyboy said:

Give it a crack mate ,no harm in trying. Love to know and so would all us country Fishraiders  cause those feathers are a dime a dozen out west. Good luck. 

Cheers Scotty 

Hopefully I will need a few dimes worth