Steel for trailer

noelm

I am half way through building a new trailer for my boat, and have hit a "slight" snag, I built it to suit 100X75 drawbar, it's near impossible to get, and the few places that have it only sell full 8m lengths, I need 3m and about 4mm wall thickness if someone has some hiding in their shed/garage that they might like to part with, I could use 100X100 with a bit of modification, happy to travel to Sydney to pickup, will pay for it of course.

Noel. Edcon steel at Revesby has 125x75x40mm 8 metre length for $400.90 Think that is including tax but may not be.

100x50x40mm $318.

125x75x4.0 RHS Pregal is a Rectangular Hollow Steel Tube - Grade C350L0 with a hot-dip galvanised coating of various types. May be supplied as branded such as SupaGal®- AllGal® or Duragal®. For example Duragal® meets the requirements of AS/NZS 4792 Class ZB100/100 and has a smooth surface finish boasting a minimum average coating mass of 100 g/m2 inside and out. Care should be taken in choosing this coating for any outdoor (especially coastal) application - a hot dip galvanised finish should be considered.

Would be OK if you are going to paint trailer , otherwise I would suggest you coat it with cold gal and well as the light coating it comes with.

I was thinking I could go halvies with you BUT unfortunately it's a bit heavy for what I have in mind.

Frank

Edited by frankS

Edcon doesn't have any, tried them already, most places can get it "soon" but I was just hoping someone had a bit hanging around in their shed, I guess at a real pinch (and more modification, even 90X90 in about 5-6mm might work, but 100X75 will be best, then 100X100, surely someone has some??

The trailer is going to be hot dipped galvanised when it's finished, got all the frame and cross pieces all welded up, going to use some stuff from the other trailer, (that's where the need for the right sized steel comes from) just kind of hoping really, people have all sorts of stuff lying around, going to sell rollers and stuff off the other trailer, 12" with stainless shafts, the axles maybe if they're OK, the rest I will cut up and dump.

33 minutes ago, noelm said:

Something really strange (and I have no idea why, but 100X75 is actually 102X76....why??

Couple mm of galvanizing maybe, gal has to be ground off before welding .

Make sure you have expansion holes in each section before taking it to the galvanizing or they will reject it.

Frank

Yeah, the ends are open, got caps for them, will spray inside with oil, then cap them and part fill with oil, I might try ringing a few scrap metal guys, you just never know what they might have.