Wind on leader

slothparade

Sorry to ask this again, I know this has been asked before but my question is a lot more specific.

I have a squall 50vsw spooled with 24kg line, I have quite a nice amount of spare space on the spool so I was considering maybe filling it with some wind on leader.

My questions are:

- how much/ long? I have a fair wack of spare spool space on the spool so yeah

- braid or mono? I have heard of people using a braid backing, so what if I were to chuck on like 300m of braid on top of my existing mono then chuck wind on leader on top of that? or do I just go mono to a wind on leader 

- what capacity line? I thought of going for 80 lbs leader to a clip then put a mighter leader on to that, makes it so that I can break off a snag if I need. 

- Im planning on usng that cats paw/ plat way of connecting it, so I think i have that covered. 

any other things I should know?

Thanks 

12 minutes ago, noelm said:

You're planning on braid to mono, to a leader to a clip to a wind on? if that's what I read it sounds way over complicated and unnecessary.

yeah buggered if I know, shsould I just chuck on like 100m or so of like 80 or 100 lbs mono? 

Best explain what you want to catch, what size line you prefer and go from there, all this braid to mono to clips (that cancels out the ability to "wind on") is rather confusing. A wind on is a leader, and as the name suggests, is made to wind right on to the reel, through the guides, any snap will not go through the guides, how you intend to combine braid and mono is strange at best, if I read it right.

8 minutes ago, noelm said:

Best explain what you want to catch, what size line you prefer and go from there, all this braid to mono to clips (that cancels out the ability to "wind on") is rather confusing. A wind on is a leader, and as the name suggests, is made to wind right on to the reel, through the guides, any snap will not go through the guides, how you intend to combine braid and mono is strange at best, if I read it right.

Basically this is my main 7+ ft shark reel, hence the heavy leader, but it also doubles for kingfish, jewfish, ect, for when I want a large overhead to drop large baits 

If I were to go down the braid rabbit hole, I would go mono, fg to probably 100/200 lbs braid to fg knot to maybe 1000 lbs wind on, to a clip (then wire if for shark) - yes I know this sounds stupidly heavy but the very thick mono is vitual for when the sharks roll, I have abbrasions in my 500lbs leader. 

my other though was to just dump on 100lbs mono to the 24kg main line to fill the spool, I want the extra thickness for the abrasion to maybe 500 - 1000 lbs wind on with a clip that I could chuck on light leader for kings or wire for sharks.

All this is just so that I can adjuct things without having to cut line. 

Do many people here use braid backing for theyre tiagaras or internationals ect? or is that an american thing? Like that would cost an insane amount just considering a good 300m braid costs $60, ill need well over 1 km