A newbie looking for tips

Callisto

Hi all,

I'm new to salt water fishing (and limited experience in any fishing) and now that I've moved to the Sunshine Coast after waiting my whole life to live somewhere where I can fish, I've started and I'm loving it. I've been bait fishing in the Maroochy River for the past month, in several different locations while not paying any attention to times/tides just going out whenever I can. I've only used frozen prawns, small and large, with a few different hook sizes. 

All I've been catching is small Bream and couple of what I think are small Trevally (plus 2 stingrays). I'm hoping to start being able to catch some bigger fish, I'm happy to catch anything for fun but I'd love to catch some decent eating fish, as far as I know there is Flat Head, Bream and Whiting around here.

I'm looking for any advice that would help me catch more/bigger fish but also any overall advice/tips as a new angler.

OH boy, where to start.....first off, buy yourself a Nipper pump and pump some Nippers for bait, next, use light line and a small sinker with a small long shank hook, if the tides high, fish right up in the shallows for Whiting, as the tide drops, fish where the flats drain into the deeper channel for Flathead, don't just cast out as far as possible, fish can be almost at your feet, just keep at it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Welcome to the forum & welcome to the minefield that is fishing.

I'm going to be in the team of artificials.

There is pretty much not a species up there tthat you won't catch on a variety of artificial.

It's up to you to do the research on that. What's to use, how when why.

Your not going to learn what you need to know solely on this forum or in 2 paragraphs.

Talk to locals, talk to local bait & tackle stores.

Good luck, it's a great spot of Aus, used to live & work not far away for a couple if years.

• Like 2

When the members on here teach you how to fish can you pass the information on to me pretty please?

Your friend the crappy fisherman.

Good luck on your quest.

Plenty of good guys/gals on here to help you out.

I won't give you my advice as I'm possessed by the devil and can't catch squat.There was a time I could.😂🤣

• Like 2

I lived  on the northside of Brissie for a few years and fished the Sunshine Coast a lot, your first step should be improving the quality of the bait you are using. As Noel said a bait pump would be an excellent start and in Qld you can legally use a cast netwhich means you can catch baitfish and for the rivers-live prawns. The Marrochy and Mooloolaba rivers also hold some excellent whiting-buy some worms. Anyway good luck.

• Like 1