Catching Dolphin Fish

Megalodon_Hunter

Hey Raiders!

Plan on heading to the fad quite soon, in an attempt to catch my first dolphin fish. I’m in the middle of rigging up some rods and was just after advice on what everyone has the most luck with? Is an unweighted dead bait the way to go? Single hook for a live bait rig? Much luck on lures or poppers? I will be heading out early from pittwater, and would like to pick up a few livies before sending it out. Is west head the best option for this? And any other essential information I should know? 

Thankyou !

Almost anything was catch them when they are in the mood, strip baits, Pilchards (whole or half) small metal lures cast around the FAD, live bait, trolled small lures, just take what you have, get there very early before the crowds and try bait first.

Ive caught dollies on everything from livebait to strips of plastic bag on a hook-but livies usually sorts them out-although the deadliest lures ive used over the last few years have been floating stick baits with a "walk the dog" retrieve, Noel is dead right the earlier the better-the close FADS off Sydney are a bit of a waste of time most days except before sun up, the best fishing ive had has always been at wider FADS or fish trap markers-hard part is finding them

They can be very fussy at times. A dead live bait is better than no bait at all but as above sometimes you need to downsize to small lures etc. Burley can spark them up. Noisy boats can send them packing. If you are drifting past Fads etc motor back up current well away from the Fad then quietly drift back past. We start with bigger baits and sometimes have to go to half pillies etc.