Port Stephens conditions after all this rain

steeevooo

Hey raiders,

Got a week in Nelson Bay from tomorrow, which was meant to be a fishing trip + camping at Broughton... 😅
Given these shonky conditions with 2m+ swell all week, plus wind, not sure we'll be venturing outside much, at least not very far. 

Does anyone know the condition of the bay itself after all this rain?

Any tips on where could be worth trying or will everywhere be much the same and full of floating debris etc?

We'd originally planned for a trip chasing pelagics, still hopeful but it's not lookin' great. 

image.png.dbf8e0abb766a3051467bbceb57f69c7.png

Hey Steveo, 

Conditions outside will be very ordinary to say the least. I don’t see you venturing outside this week unfortunately. 
The bay will still be fishable at times. The water in the bay has a tan colour to it and will get worse with a bit more rain. 
Probably not the best week to come up! 🥲

cheers scratchie!!!

Yeh mate its pretty average iv been up here since friday and only got out for a couple hours if its not rain its swell.
the only thing i can think this rain  might be good for is  try chasing some jews where the dirty water is coming out of the rivers 

• Like 1

Cheers fellas. 
Yeah ended up only hitting the water once for a cruise around the bay in a mate's boat.
Mine pretty much just went on a road trip. 
As you said @longy509 haha if not rain then swell, and also quite unpredictable. 

Still had a good time, but mighty keen to get back up there for a fish. 
Hopefully can do another trip before things cool down too much. 

2 minutes ago, steeevooo said:

Cheers fellas. 
Yeah ended up only hitting the water once for a cruise around the bay in a mate's boat.
Mine pretty much just went on a road trip. 
As you said @longy509 haha if not rain then swell, and also quite unpredictable. 

Still had a good time, but mighty keen to get back up there for a fish. 
Hopefully can do another trip before things cool down too much. 

Hey mate did you have a fish we tried our luck today in the bay the water is like chocolate only got a couple of baby snapper and a whiting tried for some squid at shoal bay but no luck.Tommorow was actually looking alight for a trip  to Broughton last i checked but that could change by the morning.

1 hour ago, longy509 said:

Hey mate did you have a fish we tried our luck today in the bay the water is like chocolate only got a couple of baby snapper and a whiting tried for some squid at shoal bay but no luck.Tommorow was actually looking alight for a trip  to Broughton last i checked but that could change by the morning.

Hey Longy, 

I wouldn’t even bother going outside mate! I checked the ocean today and whilst it’s not as bad as predicted, it’s still pumping. Not worth the risk from my experience! 
Plenty of spots to try for Jew in the bay. Seems to be a few flatty around too! 

cheers scratchie!!! 

21 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

Hey Longy, 

I wouldn’t even bother going outside mate! I checked the ocean today and whilst it’s not as bad as predicted, it’s still pumping. Not worth the risk from my experience! 
Plenty of spots to try for Jew in the bay. Seems to be a few flatty around too! 

cheers scratchie!!! 

Cheers mate i was only going off willy weather prediction 2m swell and 10 to 15kmh winds i might go for a look up the heads first in the morning and  reassess.Ill be buggered if i could find the flatties in the bay today im pretty sure i sounded a few jews up but couldnt get any takers.

11 hours ago, longy509 said:

Cheers mate i was only going off willy weather prediction 2m swell and 10 to 15kmh winds i might go for a look up the heads first in the morning and  reassess.Ill be buggered if i could find the flatties in the bay today im pretty sure i sounded a few jews up but couldnt get any takers.

Check the shallow areas in the front half of the bay from high tide and as it’s falling. Best time to target them. 

Cheers mate,

Had a drift around a few of the beaches with some bait and flicking plastics for a couple hours but nothing wanted to play the game unfortunately .

I will just have to try again next year

If anyone is after some chopper tailor they are in plaque proportion's out towards the heads all along the brown water line

Edited by longy509

On 3/4/2022 at 8:51 PM, longy509 said:

Hey mate did you have a fish we tried our luck today in the bay.

Nah we didn't bother in the end. We were mostly keen to fish the islands and reefs, and on the one cruise around the bay didn't even take rods with us, haha just wanted to get out on the water at least once. 

In the end we were glad we'd decided not to attempt going outside, after sussing out the swell from one of the lookouts it did look pretty wild, and also breaking waves across most of the opening between the heads. 

• Like 1