Minn kota shaft length.

pekingduck

Hi everyone. Sorry if this has been asked before, I have spent ages going through every related post. 

I’m looking to get a Minn kota for my 5.3m quintrex coast runner.   Choosing between a 60 or 72 inch shaft. Bow to waterline is around 80cm, So according to the specs a 60 inch shaft should be sufficient. I do most of my fishing outside the heads so more often than not there is waves and swell. 
Can anyone provide me with first hand     Experience which could help me decide. 
thank you

In any case I think you will need a customized platform to be made up for the minn kota to sit on, similar situation I have with the Savage. I want a bow mount leckie as well and have the large bulge where cuddy cabin sticks out to prevent the head of the motor sitting down low enough at storage, I will have to remove starboard side bow rail at a very minimal .

Drop in for a chat and we can discuss your issues. I could drop into your place but never know when you will be home.

I am home most times, just call in when you walk your dogs.

Your boat does not have this bulging but you still have the bow rail to contend with and IF you go the 72" shaft possible the windscreen may become a factor.

Frank

Edited by frankS

Thanks Frank. I will drop by when/if this weather ever clears. 

I have seen these pre fab mounting brackets that I can have welded on. Should suit my boat.  My windscreen will be an issue, but won’t know how much so until I have the actual motor. 

Mounting your lector may need a bit more customisation. I have seen something that would be perfectly suited for your boat, I’ll show you when I see you. 

definitely go the 72" mate. I have a Horizon 5.3m on order and im putting a Motor Guide 80 - 72" shaft on that. My older 485 Horizon had a 60" shaft because 7 years ago when i bought it there was no 72" shaft available. If outside with the 60" i could often here the prop begin to cavitate so im definitely running a 72" shaft on my slightly larger boat when it arrives. Good luck getting one though as they are pretty scarce at the moment!!!

Thank you. Exactly the kind of feedback I’m after. 
I did measure it up again this morning and the 72” is going to struggle to fit with the windscreen… but I’m just going to have to find a way. 
Does your horizon have windscreen clearance issues ? 
You are right. No stock until mid June at best. A few 60 inch shafts have become available, but get snapped up very quick.