Advice On New Rods And Reels

inked

I currently only have estaury style rods and reels with about 5kg max capacity.

I'm looking to get some bigger stuff since I am hoping to be fishing botany bay for some bigger species in the not to distant future.

I have no idea what to get or what to even look for. I'm thinking that i should be looking for rods in the 5 1/2 foot range since I am in a small boat.

what style of reel should i be looking for

thanks

I currently only have estaury style rods and reels with about 5kg max capacity.

I'm looking to get some bigger stuff since I am hoping to be fishing botany bay for some bigger species in the not to distant future.

I have no idea what to get or what to even look for. I'm thinking that i should be looking for rods in the 5 1/2 foot range since I am in a small boat.

what style of reel should i be looking for

thanks

what do y mean by big stuff

A good alround out fit for the bay is the larger shimano type bait runner reel mate with a 7 foot rod my prefrence being an ugly stick load that with 10 or 15 kg braid or fireline. This kind of out fit can be used to cast lures & livebait at the various markers around the bay or just spin & bait fish with but can also be used to live bait with :thumbup: . Your 5kg outfits can still catch kings but expect to loose a few :biggrin2:

A baitrunner allows a fish to take the bait with very little resistance, once the fish is running with the bait the baitrunner lever can be flicked or just winding will set the reel into gear and you can fight the fish on the normal drag setting. They are great reels, but reality is that any overhead reel can do exactly what a baitrunner does, set the overhead into freespool, put on the ratchet or adjust the brake...... same process. I agree with ken, learn to use overheads as they are great reels. I own 2 shimano baitrunners and they are fantastic allrounders.