eating pike eels?

slothparade

Im hoping to get out on saturday to berowera to fish the run out/ in tide for some pike eels. can't be bothered to get the kayak out or grab my mates boat. so will  be going off next to the ferry. will chuck a shark bait in to. 

My main question is, anyone eaten a pike eel? I read a big mixture about them, some say great, some say bad, but one thing agreed on is they stink. I was going to dry them out a bit then marinate in terriaki, soy, brown sugar, chilli oil, salt and them smoke them. 

do you need to soak them in vinegar or milk to remove the amonia smell?

10 minutes ago, noelm said:

I don't care how good they taste, they don't get anywhere near me, cut off ASAP.......

can't blame you. I know im probably tempting fate, ill just have some work boots on. Theyre meant to be an asome shark bait to so, like could be worth the risk lol

We have a rule about them- NEVER to be brought on board, they are extremely aggressive and dangerous creatures. Read my Pike Eel story in Waza's Yarns. They grow much larger than the information profile on them suggests and don't let go when they bite someone/thing!

People do eat them and a commercial fisher asked me for the locations we've encountered numbers of them- which I was only too happy to provide- he was exporting them and said they were worth good money. Better (and safer) things to eat than them

10 minutes ago, wazatherfisherman said:

We have a rule about them- NEVER to be brought on board, they are extremely aggressive and dangerous creatures. Read my Pike Eel story in Waza's Yarns. They grow much larger than the information profile on them suggests and don't let go when they bite someone/thing!

People do eat them and a commercial fisher asked me for the locations we've encountered numbers of them- which I was only too happy to provide- he was exporting them and said they were worth good money. Better (and safer) things to eat than them

yeah I had a quick read of them. 

SOunds like shark bait then. thanks for the tips 

Eels belong in the "ugly fish" category for me, like Pike, Wirrahs (old boot) Red Rick Cod, Butchers d1cks (those slippery red Wrasse things) and various other species that just go straight back in the water.

3 hours ago, noelm said:

Not too sure how dangerous they really are, but the ones I have caught are sure cranky and rear up like a coiled spring with that huge mouth full of teeth wide open......

I've seen stitches required from them, they're nasty slimy demons that I'm sure only exist because they were cast put of hell for being to viscous 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1