Beach Fishing

trev

I am heading to Narrabeen Beach for a fish this Friday early morning. Any one had any luck on the beaches lately? I am open to sugestions of different locations but my Dad (76yrs old) wants to go beach fishing so I better take him don't want a grumpy old man......

Cheers

Trev

G'day Trev

I haven't been fishing at Narrabeen for a long time, though as an avid reader of all beach fishing reports I have seen a lot of info on it.

The staple at Narra seems to be Tailor - all the reports I've read have indicated that Tailor are relatively easy to pick up on ganged pillies as long as you can find a good gutter or hole. This certainly has been the case on the Eastern Suburb beaches (where I fish), as the usual run of whiting, bream and flatties has so far failed to appear, although the last week has seen a slight pick-up in these fish.

Have also read of some near captures where Tailor have been sent back in at Narra as a butterflied Jewie bait, but I haven't managed anything on the Eastern Suburb beaches other than a big shovelnose on fresh squid.

I haven't had one of those sessions where the fish are really firing off the beach yet this season, but as these hot days keep on and on I reckon I can feel one coming.

Good luck - with a high tide at 9pm on Friday evening you're in with a pretty good chance. Come to think of it - I might head down to the beach myself . . . . .

Mondo

Thanks Mondo,

I used to fish North Narrabeen alot in the 80's but have not been there for over 5 years now. I had to rebind a guide and respool the reels my beach gear had seen such little action. I am hoping to get a few tailor and hopefully a some whiting and bream. I will post a report afterwards.

Cheers

Trev

Well, as discussed, I headed down to Maroubra last night on dusk to see if there was any action. I was chasing Jew (still haven't caught one off the beach but I figure that I eventually will) with butterflied yakkas that I'd picked up in Gordon's Bay. Fished for two hours from 8pm to 10pm.

There was a good deep hole/gutter combo but the surf was pretty rough - the amount of whitewater and movement made the set-up look a bit too sudsy to tempt a big jewie in close enough to see my bait, but what do I know as I've never caught one off the beach.

Can anyone shed light on this? I've always assumed that you need some clear water in the gutter before the Jewies will come in close - i.e. if it gets too washy due to big surf they'll just hang out the back out of casting range - is this correct?

Anyway - I chucked the baits in regardless and ended up pulling in an absolute horse of a Salmon at about 75cm, which was fun but not much of a challenge on 30lb fireline. Wish I'd taken my camera, but I had to release it without evidence.

Big jew next time eh?

Mondo.