Fuel tank cleaning

Wantok

Guys,

I have a 150 ltr under floor fuel tank which has a lining of varnish from old 2 stroke fuel from many years ago. This is starting to break down and causing all sorts of grief with my motor.

I've removed the tank and need to get it cleaned out. 

There is no inspection port only the filler, breather and output line.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to who may be able to help in the Sydney area?

Regards Richard 

Richard. I would be surprised if a large underfloor fuel tank didn't have some sort of sender ( fuel level indicator ) in it. These are usually screw in type and when removed leaves a rather large hole in the top of the tank so you can get some access to cleaning it out. In any case the filler hole would be large enough.

You may be able to use a flexible hose on the end of a karcher type high pressure hose to get in there and flush it out with high pressure water.

Give it a good flushing and allow it to dry out for a few days, another flexible hose with high pressure air would assist in drying it out.

Frank

• Like 1

11 hours ago, frankS said:

Richard. I would be surprised if a large underfloor fuel tank didn't have some sort of sender ( fuel level indicator ) in it. These are usually screw in type and when removed leaves a rather large hole in the top of the tank so you can get some access to cleaning it out. In any case the filler hole would be large enough.

You may be able to use a flexible hose on the end of a karcher type high pressure hose to get in there and flush it out with high pressure water.

Give it a good flushing and allow it to dry out for a few days, another flexible hose with high pressure air would assist in drying it out.

Frank

Just now, Wantok said:
11 hours ago, frankS said:

Frank

Thanks Frank, Definitely no sender on this tank. I'll have a look at what you recommended. Might be a good opportunity to cut a hole, clean it out and fit a sender unit.:)

Hydrochloric acid. (Pool acid) or electrolysis mate.Kick back with a beer and let it do it’s thing.Any other way of cleaning tanks is a mugs game mate.

I’ve used these methods many times in over 30 yrs.

Edited by Fab1