Best colour

Bloggsy

Funny thing, in Lake Illawarra, a sad looking, dull brown plastic seems to out fish everything else on Flathead, that said, I personally  think it's the action/technique that catches Flathead, but, fishing is a confidence thing, use what makes you feel like it's going to work!

• Like 1

I don't know what it is about the dull brown colour, but I have found, a smallish plastic (especially a twin tail kind of thing) works a treat in the lake, it doesn't really look like a Mullet or Prawn or anything, but, it works, that said, because I use it most of the time, I "think" it works better.........maybe? Flathead tend to like a "hop and stop" action, rather than just winding in, wind a little bit, stop, wind a bit, stop, or flick the rod tip to make the lure "hop" along the bottom.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, noelm said:

I don't know what it is about the dull brown colour, but I have found, a smallish plastic (especially a twin tail kind of thing) works a treat in the lake, it doesn't really look like a Mullet or Prawn or anything, but, it works, that said, because I use it most of the time, I "think" it works better.........maybe? Flathead tend to like a "hop and stop" action, rather than just winding in, wind a little bit, stop, wind a bit, stop, or flick the rod tip to make the lure "hop" along the bottom.

Motor Oil colored plastics are definitely a standout in St Georges Basin as well. The 2-3 inch grubs are killers in anything shallower than 2 meters.

• Like 2

I can’t remember where or when I heard it, but I was once told a good starting point when selecting a lure colour was to select one that matches the colour of the water you’re fishing in.

Assuming the water isn’t stained with fresh run off, in my neck of the woods that means go with a brown lure in the shallow muddy bays and a green/blue over deeper clean sand.

That being said, when I used to do a lot of flathead trolling in deep water (22-25 foot) red was the standout colour by far.

Knowing red is the first colour from the spectrum to “disappear” at depth, I remember from my diving days, red used to appear a bluish white once you got down a bit. Who knows how fish see colours though?

• Like 5

Similarly from the “don’t remember where I read it”, matching the colour of the sediment, on the basis that fish camouflage themselves on their surroundings. 

Here’s a chart on the fish visibility spectrum. Doc Lures has a good podcast covering fish eyes and how they work (episodes 55 and 188).

5F1044FF-664A-4B53-B19B-99C874D3854B.jpeg.4da2c8dee5b7cd0b32fe118779c3e4a1.jpeg

Edited by Mike Sydney
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1