Warilla beach rockwall

noelm

1 hour ago, noelm said:

Yeah the work was tendered out. It is a great spot to live, that's the entrance to Little lake, pretty good for Flathead drifting live poddies along with the outgoing tide, and decent Bream fishing straight across the road and along the Headland, plus an added bonus of Lobsters diving around the rocks. I have two street access, so the tinny lives out the back, under cover, with my crab cooker, bait freezer and so on all there, so after washing the boat, I can put it away and relax in the shade while the crabs cook, mind you, I could never afford to buy there these days, I have lived here all my life, houses are just over the top in price, everyone says I am rich, maybe if I sold the house and moved out into the "burbs" I would be, but as it stands, I am just a regular guy, who worked all my life and was lucky enough to buy the family home years and years ago, not knowing how prices would go! If I was smart and could go back, I would buy every house in the street........but, it's all relative to the times, I paid market price for the house at the time, which was ridiculously cheap now, but then, it was a struggle, just like everything.

Sounds and looks good mate. I actually google earthed the area to get a better idea of your surroundings.

Similar to you we bought our place for peanuts in the early 80’s when Hyams was a sleepy little village inhabited by pensioners and a few tradies. 20 years later the developers discovered the place and absolutely destroyed the ambience squeezing the long term locals out.

Still, I’m happy where I am now and can walk 50m from home to some pretty good whiting flats on the Basin and throw a surface lure around whenever I feel.

• Like 2

Google does give you an idea of the place, when I was little, we were the only permanent residents on Barrack Point, the only other houses were a few holiday houses along the creek entrance. My grandparents moved here in the early '40s and bought a couple of blocks side by side for 2 pound each, (probably a lot of money then) they sold one block later for 4 pounds, so theirs cost them nothing. Gossip/history says they lived in a tent/shack while my grandfather "picked up" bits and pieces of timber from the ship that used to come into Shellharbour to transport timber to Sydney. Their old house was pulled down about 15 years ago, the frame was made out of Australian Red Cedar......anyone who knows timber would know about Cedar! My father bought our place after the war, down the road (track) from his parents place, on the water. I have relatives still living that say he and one of his sisters bought all their belongings down from Sydney in an 18' open "putt putt" launch they motored up the Little Lake to unload, then off to moor it in Shellharbour, I can remember going out in it as a little kid, no idea how old it was.

• Like 2

Hyams Beach was a great spot, don't know how long ago you lived there, but my father had a trawler up Currambine creek, at a place owned by a guy called Lockwood, he sold Oysters and his grandson "Norm" lived up in Wollamia, then ran the caravan park in Huskisson for a while. Love Jervis Bay, the whole area is fantastic, I could have bought land in Vincentia for $150 a block! But there was no real road, no water, who would want land there? if only........

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Yowie said:

Noel, is there much to be caught in Little Lake?

I fished the big lake in my younger days, but never ventured that bit further south. 

I fish there a bit, there is a footbridge over it near the entrance, there is a big sand flat under it, with scattered rocks. I pump Nippers further up the lake, or Squirt Worms if there's any, and fish there at high tide at night, big Whiting and Bream to be had, unfortunately the lake has silted up and is quite shallow now. And good Flathead can be had on a runout tide walking along with live poddies. Up in the lake is a great spot to catch Mullet, plenty there and Nippers are easy to get. I fly fish at the entrance a bit, though I am not very good at it, lots of Blackfish, Trevally and Mullet, considering how small it is, and the amount of tourist/swimmers there is decent fish to be had.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, noelm said:

Hyams Beach was a great spot, don't know how long ago you lived there, but my father had a trawler up Currambine creek, at a place owned by a guy called Lockwood, he sold Oysters and his grandson "Norm" lived up in Wollamia, then ran the caravan park in Huskisson for a while. Love Jervis Bay, the whole area is fantastic, I could have bought land in Vincentia for $150 a block! But there was no real road, no water, who would want land there? if only........

I lived in Hyams from 1988-2019 and saw the place go through massive changes, none to my liking. I knew most of the Huskisson trawler fishermen around then, but many not by name, so possibly I had run into your father at some stage. Before that I was born and raised at Culburra and saw that place also develop from a handful of locals in fibro shacks in the 60’s to thousands in their brick homes.

Your Little Lake sound very much like Moonah Creek, between Huskisson and Vincentia. A small, shallow waterway that could be extremely productive at times. I used to love fishing that place until the Jervis Bay Marine Park took it off me by declaring it a sanctuary zone.

• Like 1

Went to Culburra every year on our annual "banks" fishing holiday, probably from about 1980 till around 1990 but sometimes we stayed at Currarong because my mates mother in law had a house there, but, usually we stayed at the caravan park at the river entrance, probably saw you at some time? I had an aluminium cat and my mate had a white sharkcat with a yellow deck. Little Lake is kind of like Moonah creek, but it used to be very deep back in the "old days" but progress has seen it silt up to a trickle at low tide. 

• Like 1

We very well could have exchanged glances back then. I was a member of the Culburra ANSA Club and we had our monthly comp weigh ins at the caravan park, down the back by the gantry. I used to head out The Banks a bit around then as well, not too often though as seasickness was something I could never overcome.

• Like 1