White Vinyl Stains

pato1993

Does anyone have any tricks to get stains out of white Vinyl. I have attached two photos of the stains that I am unable to get out. I have used cleaning products from marine store, but they don't seem to work

Vinyl 1.jpg

Seat.jpg

Edited by pato1993

Hi Pato1993,

Hard to tell the nature of the stain from a photo but looks like spray tan stain !

You could try using a 'magic sponge'

We have found them to be very effective on vinyl and fibreglass.

Sellys mould remover can also work as that is a bleach based product.....might be ok on vinyl.

Good luck

Here you go, a copy and paste from one of dozens of google searches on pink vinyl.

Pinking, on the other hand, is a discoloration caused by the “overoxidation of phenolic compounds commonly used as antioxidants.”

According to Barrett, you can’t clean pink stain, because it has been absorbed into the vinyl. Better, he says, is to think about prevention. To prevent the growth of Streptoverticillium reticulum you can apply a biocide such as arsenic (not recommended for reasons of safety) or organic compounds such as iodine and zinc. Zinc pyrithione (ZPT) is an effective treatment, which brings us to weird fact #2. “ZPT,” writes Barrett, “has been used for over 50 years to effectively treat dandruff and has become the most common material for that purpose, e.g., Head & Shoulders shampoo.”

The problem is hard to fix, google it, there is lots of explanations, it's not a "stain" it can't be cleaned properly, the vinyl has actually changed composition. You may get a bit of improvement with bleach.....maybe, but the fact is, there's nothing to "clean off" the material has changed colour, permanently.