Sydney harbour baitfish

Marke

Went down to the north harbour Mosman area early Sun morning land based and there were big schools of baitfish everywhere . They occasionally erupted in big swirls and bigger fish breaking the surface but I couldnt make out what they were they got as close as 20m from the shore at times but still couldnt quite tell only see their backs. Tried all different lures thru them with only one hit on a small jig but just no takers. Any one know what the most likely suspects would be I am guessing salmon or small kings they seen a bit big for tailor and gave me a very frustrating morning.

• Like 1

The bait fish were small probably whitebait and I am guessing Salmon unless big tailor , just wondering how to tackle them next  time but I guess while there is so much bait fish they arent interested in much else. 

Try a caspar clear power bait minnow (3 inch) from Berkley. I match them with the TT bullet head jigheads with size 1H hook. You may have to play around with jig head weight to find a balance between casting distance (1/4oz) or hang time (1/8oz). You may have to cut it down a few times to get it close to the size they are eating. Fish the edges of the feeding school and you will general need a darting retrieve like this:

Edited by DerekD
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, DerekD said:

Try a caspar clear power bait minnow from Berkley. I match them with the TT bullet head jigheads with size 1H hook. You may have to play around with jig head weight to find a balance between casting distance (1/4oz) or hang time (1/8oz). You may have to cut it down a few times to get it close to the size they are eating. Fish the edges of the feeding school and you will general need a darting retrieve like this:

That looks the ticket I will track it down , Ill be going out a bit during the xmas period need to be prepared :)

12 minutes ago, Marke said:

That looks the ticket I will track it down , Ill be going out a bit during the xmas period need to be prepared :)

If you are fishing the Mosman area more frequently then I may have to see if we can catch up for a flick over the Christmas break. We've historically done really well in the Middle Harbour once we have located the kings.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DerekD said:

If you are fishing the Mosman area more frequently then I may have to see if we can catch up for a flick over the Christmas break. We've historically done really well in the Middle Harbour once we have located the kings.

Sounds good my wife comes with me as she loves fishing too but just seems miss out on catching anything worth taking home, its always me that has the luck :) 

11 hours ago, DerekD said:

Hi @Marke the Berkley Power bait smelt colour also works pretty well as it flashes in the water. I do best in the 3 inch size at this time of year.

Thanks again Derek I've ordered a bunch :) if anything I will be well prepared and its not like I am not putting in the effort  :)

9 minutes ago, Marke said:

Thanks again Derek I've ordered a bunch :) if anything I will be well prepared and its not like I am not putting in the effort  :)

Apart from pelagics, these are my favourite all time lure for flathead. They also do ok on the bream as well 😎

So a highly versatile option for your tackle box.

• Thanks 1

Hi @Marke,

These are the TT bullet head jigheads I match them with (I struggle to get consistency with darter jigheads so don't use them). If we catch up then I'll show you the retrieve I use to get the sweeping motion shown in the video. You need to throw in the pause to give the fish a chance to hit it.

TTjigheads.thumb.jpg.35f3e7e12de738825b3150a7d1560e82.jpg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DerekD said:

Hi @Marke,

These are the TT bullet head jigheads I match them with (I struggle to get consistency with darter jigheads so don't use them). If we catch up then I'll show you the retrieve I use to get the sweeping motion shown in the video. You need to throw in the pause to give the fish a chance to hit it.

TTjigheads.thumb.jpg.35f3e7e12de738825b3150a7d1560e82.jpg

Thanks again I have a stack of these and coloured ones as well :)  just need a bit a practice with them as we mainly baitfish or I slow jig from the shore 

27 minutes ago, Little_Flatty said:

Apart from pelagics, these are my favourite all time lure for flathead. They also do ok on the bream as well 😎

So a highly versatile option for your tackle box.

Good to know I may just persevere for awhile with them :) 

• Like 1