Transducer Help!

Larkin

Gday raiders,

im upgrading my transducer from an internal through hull (standard issue) to a transom mounted Garmin with Chirp, ClearVu & SideVu.

looking at this model which I think is compatible with my Garmin sounder model and the custom mounting brackets I’m using.

I fish from 1m -130m but most of my fishing is done between 20m-60m

this transducer comes in a few different configurations 

HW Chirp - Mid chirp

SideVu & ClearVu have a few options too

if someone with knowledge on these could explain to me the difference between HW & Mid? And why you would use one over the other 

and also the frequency ranges 

thanks in advance

358C97FA-2C25-41E1-AC00-50255360B68A.thumb.jpeg.d41cbdf1b07f10eb284ee5760a9bd3b7.jpegBB3314D0-1D64-494A-A96A-9A71131279C1.thumb.jpeg.13920a3a2d2a462f88f02990b843ae25.jpeg

Larkin.Don't spend that much money on a new transducer.

I have a Garmin GT52HW-TM here that you could try out before you outlay any dollars.

It has some scratches and is used but you are more than welcome to come and collect it fit it try it out for a few sessions and then IF it does what you want it to do you could give me some dollars ( whatever you think is a fair price for 2nd hand tranny ) . Also have a spare head mount bracket I would throw in with the deal.

If you find it is not suitable for your needs after a fair trial, just return it and all will be good. Has Stainless steel mounting brackets not plastic.

Can take some photos if interested.

Frank

Edited by frankS
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Larkin said:

if someone with knowledge on these could explain to me the difference between HW & Mid? And why you would use one over the other 

and also the frequency ranges 

HW - high frequency range

Mid - mid frequency range

All sounders operate on the principle of creating a signal (ping) and then listening and interpreting the echo as that signal bounces off objects (such as the bottom, fish, structure etc)...  hard solid objects reflect more powerful echos, softer objects absorb some of the signal and reflect less. 

The fundamental principles are the higher the frequency the more signals are generated (more data points to analyse), and hence a clearer interpretation and image can be produced. However, higher frequencies have lower depth penetration.... so for deep water low frequencies provide a clearer and more accurate representation.

Look at the Garmin website for the GT56UHD and compare the specs for the HW and Mid transducers... you'll see the Mid can operate in much deeper water.

https://www.garmin.com/en-AU/p/736677/pn/010-13073-00#specs

HW specs

image.thumb.png.7c66febaeff9f5f8cbc2d61556d3d2ce.png

Mid Specs

image.thumb.png.ea97f20bdf0fc8fa6722f313d7daeff8.png

FWIW, I have a GT51M Mid (600W) for all my estuary and close offshore fishing and Airmar B175L LOW CHIRP 1kW (40-60 kHz) for shelf deep dropping.

BTW, I'd seriously take a look at Frank's offer, there's nothing like try before you buy.

Cheers Zoran

PS - have a read of this PDF for additional insights:  https://www.airmar.com/uploads/brochures/tilted-element-chirp.pdf

Edited by zmk1962
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, frankS said:

Larkin.Don't spend that much money on a new transducer.

I have a Garmin GT52HW-TM here that you could try out before you outlay any dollars.

It has some scratches and is used but you are more than welcome to come and collect it fit it try it out for a few sessions and then IF it does what you want it to do you could give me some dollars ( whatever you think is a fair price for 2nd hand tranny ) . Also have a spare head mount bracket I would throw in with the deal.

If you find it is not suitable for your needs after a fair trial, just return it and all will be good. Has Stainless steel mounting brackets not plastic.

Can take some photos if interested.

Frank

Hi Frank, can tell your a handshake kind of guy - and I really appreciate the offer! 
I’ve kind of already said to my mate that works at sea doo that I’d buy one from him as long as he’d install it - I have no idea how to run the cables through the deck on a jetski - probably stuff it up if I tried to be totally honest. It also needs a custom spring loaded bracket that is retractable so the transducer doesn’t get damaged during beach landings.

Larkin. It's your money and I understand that you may be loyal to your friend. The offer is there with no pressure, just trying to help you save heaps of dollars.

I do have one of those stainless steel flip up spring loaded brackets as well.

Cheers Frank

• Like 2

Oh .... one other thing I forgot to mentions was that Transducer performance is usually stated for freshwater (well that's what I have seen from Garmin and Eagle/Lowrance) ... Performance is reduced in saltwater.  So for my main Transducer I have gone to mid freq range - as that had a higher power (Watt) rating and hence ensured I had coverage of the depths I typically fish.

How much is performance reduced in salt? Sorry no idea - I have no personal experience taking the same transducer between salt and fresh. Maybe other Raiders that fish both can comment.

Cheers Z

6 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

HW - high frequency range

Mid - mid frequency range

All sounders operate on the principle of creating a signal (ping) and then listening and interpreting the echo as that signal bounces off objects (such as the bottom, fish, structure etc)...  hard solid objects reflect more powerful echos, softer objects absorb some of the signal and reflect less. 

The fundamental principles are the higher the frequency the more signals are generated (more data points to analyse), and hence a clearer interpretation and image can be produced. However, higher frequencies have lower depth penetration.... so for deep water low frequencies provide a clearer and more accurate representation.

Look at the Garmin website for the GT56UHD and compare the specs for the HW and Mid transducers... you'll see the Mid can operate in much deeper water.

https://www.garmin.com/en-AU/p/736677/pn/010-13073-00#specs

HW specs

image.thumb.png.7c66febaeff9f5f8cbc2d61556d3d2ce.png

Mid Specs

image.thumb.png.ea97f20bdf0fc8fa6722f313d7daeff8.png

FWIW, I have a GT51M Mid (600W) for all my estuary and close offshore fishing and Airmar B175L LOW CHIRP 1kW (40-60 kHz) for shelf deep dropping.

BTW, I'd seriously take a look at Frank's offer, there's nothing like try before you buy.

Cheers Zoran

PS - have a read of this PDF for additional insights:  https://www.airmar.com/uploads/brochures/tilted-element-chirp.pdf

Hi Zoran, thanks for all the info & appreciate your time to explain it. Makes much more sense to me now. Helped me a lot 👍

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, zmk1962 said:

Oh .... one other thing I forgot to mentions was that Transducer performance is usually stated for freshwater (well that's what I have seen from Garmin and Eagle/Lowrance) ... Performance is reduced in saltwater.  So for my main Transducer I have gone to mid freq range - as that had a higher power (Watt) rating and hence ensured I had coverage of the depths I typically fish.

How much is performance reduced in salt? Sorry no idea - I have no personal experience taking the same transducer between salt and fresh. Maybe other Raiders that fish both can comment.

Cheers Z

Bet you went though every option when setting up your electronics on DevOcean - you have a sweet set up! 
How you finding the performance of what you chose? Is it what you had expected?

Yes.. a lot of research went into it. Garmin has very tight integration with Yamaha and CruiseCraft so that gave me confidence and  @JonD has posted some excellent material based on the experience in his line of work with many different sounders... and he had positive things to say about his recent Garmin experience. So I just had to put together what Transducer(s), MFD and maps would do it for me .... 

Everything is working better than expected, (eg I can get bottom read at 70kmh) … but honestly I have not had much opportunity to really hit offshore and fish hard - weather, and my number 1 crew (Maria) has been recovering from surgery. So just boating trips, playing with gadgets and getting the hours up for the first 20hr service before 3 months expired.

Cheers Zoran

Edited by zmk1962
  • Like 2