Fishing spots Burrill lake

Jo5hC

Can't really recommend specific spots, but......just look for channels, holes, weed beds, small rocky reef, logs/trees in the water. Pump some Nippers, fish early morning and try different stages of the tide. Use light line and little to no sinker, don't throw out as far as you can, fish close to the above mentioned structure, try to target a single species, because technique can vary results, just turning up mid morning, with a packet of Prawns, at an easy to get to spot, trying to catch "anything" will see you with Toads, under sized Bream and so on.

• Like 3

Just to add....I said to try to target a specific species, what I mean is, fishing for (say) Whiting is a completely different approach to Flathead, they are very different feeders, and tend to be in different locations and often require different baits and rig. Flathead will be lurking on the edge of a drop off or small channel as the tide drops, waiting for baitfish to come off the flats as the tide drops, Whiting will be up on the flats at high tide, often in very shallow water, looking for Worms, Nippers and tiny crabs and so on! So, it's best to fish for one or the other, that said, it's not uncommon to catch a variety of fish, but, when time is limited, it's best to give yourself the best shot at a feed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, noelm said:

Can't really recommend specific spots, but......just look for channels, holes, weed beds, small rocky reef, logs/trees in the water. Pump some Nippers, fish early morning and try different stages of the tide. Use light line and little to no sinker, don't throw out as far as you can, fish close to the above mentioned structure, try to target a single species, because technique can vary results, just turning up mid morning, with a packet of Prawns, at an easy to get to spot, trying to catch "anything" will see you with Toads, under sized Bream and so on.

1 hour ago, noelm said:

Just to add....I said to try to target a specific species, what I mean is, fishing for (say) Whiting is a completely different approach to Flathead, they are very different feeders, and tend to be in different locations and often require different baits and rig. Flathead will be lurking on the edge of a drop off or small channel as the tide drops, waiting for baitfish to come off the flats as the tide drops, Whiting will be up on the flats at high tide, often in very shallow water, looking for Worms, Nippers and tiny crabs and so on! So, it's best to fish for one or the other, that said, it's not uncommon to catch a variety of fish, but, when time is limited, it's best to give yourself the best shot at a feed.

Ok thanks a lot 

The problem there is getting access to the water , a lot of it is bushland and private property. I had a van at Ulladulla a few years back and only fished that lake once - I usually headed to Batemans bay or Sussex inlet as there were more options or fished the beach which was 300m from my van .

The main channel runs pretty hard as it is shallow but there are fish to be caught there but I would be looking at the top of the tide and fishing into the night . There are some decent Whiting and Luderick in there but very timid .

1: this is where I have pumped nippers before 

2: This deep hole looked promising especially for Luderick and around the edges would be worth a try for flathead .

3:There is a park along here so easy access -worth a try at night for Whiting also worth flicking a lure for flathead . 
4&5: Pretty much the same as 3: but I have seen a few guys fishing for Luderick at spot 5: .

6: I never really went into here in my boat but did drive down for a look one day , iirc it was pretty weedy but drifting a live bait under a bobby float would be an option .

7: iirc this area was fenced off for some reason but you maybe able to wade around the shore and get to the point where the drop over is . 

Fishing Burrill is a lot like  fishing  Narrabeen lagoon - it always fished better at night imho. 

554EAE7C-5B7E-4E08-8E01-D73366431370.thumb.jpeg.ef3575fd9f78b996b73895e1208a5e9d.jpeg

Edited by XD351
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2