Kayaking Bobbo/Apple Tree sharks

kath2020

Hey!

Would appreciate hearing anyone's opinion on sharks... I've been swimming and kayaking for a few years in this area and never really gave too much thought to predators. Someone mentioned the bull sharks in that area and now that I've switched to a super light little sit on top sea kayak (that I can throw in the boot) my confidence has plummeted!! Thanks for your time, K

I live in Port Macquarie and regularly ksyak the Hastings river which is well known for big bull sharks, I've never had an issue

Interestingly some years ago large bull sharks were radio tagged in Sydney harbour and swam within metres of oblivious swimmers with no hint of attacking

You're more likely to be injured in  your car on the way to launch than have an issue with a bull shark

• Like 3

I guess, you're in the water, the chance is there, but, in reality that chance is very slim, millions of people swim, surf, fish, boat, kayak every day, Sharks have always been there, yet "contact" is rare.

• 3 weeks later...

Ive fished those system's many times on my kayak and have never crossed paths (at least not that I could see) but my mate who grew up in that area told me hes seen tonnes of small ones around there on the sand flats. I did have a sea turtle surface near me once in coal and candle creek and it scared the crap out of me. Just a big head staring at me and blowing out a gust of air. Once I knew what it was I was ok but for those 3 seconds it was intense.

If its any comfort, theres like no reports of bullsharks tipping kayaks, great whites on the other hand...

ive seen bullies up behind the boat shed at Bobbin on a few occasions-as shallow as 1 m of water. I wouldnt get too worrried about sharks-its a great kayak fishing areas-i grew up fishing it over 40 years ago. But as an interesting side story a few years back i was fishing the Noosa River in Qld behind the Sheraton while on a weeks holiday. Every morning before dawn there was a very hot trevally and queenfish bite that went until about 630 in the morning . I hooked over 30 fish over 4 mornings fishing and landed 2-the rest got sharked , best one was a good trevor that got chased round the front of my kayak by a bullie that was about 2 feet across the shoulders, he banged into my yak and i could of given him a pat on the way through-the trevor met a grisly end -and i had a lot of adrenaline going those mornings-lost about 10 lures too. Funny thing was also watching the early morning dog walkers letting their dogs swim about 50 meters from all the action-oblivious.

I shark fish all the time, and taking baits out on a kayak. I even had the unfortunate experience of being tangled in the line and then dragging a shark bait around for half an hour trying to untangle myself in one of our best shark spots. All in all, your litterally a 1/100,000,000 chance to get bothered by a shark on a kayak. If your really worried, get a shark band, I use one because if I some how get tipped out while carrying a bait, I want as much chance to get out of the water still in one piece. A shark band is like $100 and gives you the peace of mind. Also go with someone else.