Just an Intro

Kirelda

Hey guys. My name is Li-Ke, but some people call me Li. I'm currently 16 and in highschool.

I've only recently started wanting to get a little more serious into fishing. I've been following my dad when he went fishing but he refused to teach me anything, and i was too young to know where to look for good information. Now that i'm older and understand fishing slightly more, I've been thinking "I wanna catch fishing the proper way". With this in mind I got a rod, some gear and started fishing.

I've always done baitfishing and it has served me well, but recently, I've been curious about hard bodies and plastics. I decided to primarily target bream and i'm making it my goal to catch a 40cm bream by the end of this year. i'm currently operating on a Shimano Sienna quickfire combo from anaconda and I would love any tips advice as  am still completely new to this. Thank you guys for having me and I will try my best to do my part to share information as well. 

• Like 4

Hi young fella. Mind if I call you Li ?.

Thank you for introducing yourself to the forum. I find it hard for ANY father to NOT want to teach their son the basics of catching a fish.

You sound like a pretty level headed young lad to me and I would like to help you out by donating a hand full of hard bodied lures and a few other bits and pieces, plastics etc.

Where do you live what area? and IF you are not too far away from Berala and IF your dad wouldn't mind driving you to my place I can give you some goodies to get you started.

And maybe teach you some basics while you are here, Maybe your dad might learn something as well.

If you are too far away to visit send me your address via Personal message with your name and I will post some goodies your way.

I don't want anything for the stuff ,Just want to help a young guy get started.

Frank

• Like 6

Hi mate,

That introduction was a pleasure to read and welcome to the forum.

In addition to spending some time reaching out to others it is worth going through the articles library and past posts using the search engine. There are plenty of articles that have helped kickstart fishing skills in a new direction.

Looking forward to seeing more from you on the site.

Regards,

Derek

• Like 3

2 hours ago, frankS said:

Hi young fella. Mind if I call you Li ?.

Thank you for introducing yourself to the forum. I find it hard for ANY father to NOT want to teach their son the basics of catching a fish.

You sound like a pretty level headed young lad to me and I would like to help you out by donating a hand full of hard bodied lures and a few other bits and pieces, plastics etc.

Where do you live what area? and IF you are not too far away from Berala and IF your dad wouldn't mind driving you to my place I can give you some goodies to get you started.

And maybe teach you some basics while you are here, Maybe your dad might learn something as well.

If you are too far away to visit send me your address via Personal message with your name and I will post some goodies your way.

I don't want anything for the stuff ,Just want to help a young guy get started.

Frank

Li's perfectly fine. Thanks for the kind words and offer for the lures. I've spent some of my own money on lures from working but man my bank ran dry quick. I'd love if you could spare some for me to try. I currently live in Strathfield which i believe is fairly close to Berala so I can just take a bus there.

My dad is only interested in bait fishing for blue gropers as he finds it a challenge, and delicious. He'd rather catch no fish at all than to catch something other than a Blue groper.

Once again, thanks for the lures. I'll be happy to head over anytime.

52 minutes ago, DerekD said:

Hi mate,

That introduction was a pleasure to read and welcome to the forum.

In addition to spending some time reaching out to others it is worth going through the articles library and past posts using the search engine. There are plenty of articles that have helped kickstart fishing skills in a new direction.

Looking forward to seeing more from you on the site.

Regards,

Derek

Will do. Already checking out some forums dedicated to beginners like me. Thanks for the heads up.

Li. Nice to get a reply from you, it shows you will be a worth while contributor to the forum.

Unfortunately, it's not a good idea for you to catch a bus and visit me without guardian supervision.

In a past fishing forum which I was an administrator I had a policy ( rule ) that no person under the age of 18 would be allowed to attend any gathering organized by any member of the forum without adult guardian supervision. and it worked well. I do suggest that this forum should also adopt this rule.

Alternately we may have to go to my second suggestion that you send me your postal address via personal message, and I will get a package together and post to you. 

After you receive the goods the next step would be to learn how to best use them, I would suggest we arrange a meeting with DerekD and we could have a session together, this would need you to be accompanied by a supervisor as well.

I could pick you and your adult supervisor up and travel over the north side to meet up with Derek at a time that suits all involved.

Frank

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, frankS said:

Li. Nice to get a reply from you, it shows you will be a worth while contributor to the forum.

Unfortunately, it's not a good idea for you to catch a bus and visit me without guardian supervision.

In a past fishing forum which I was an administrator I had a policy ( rule ) that no person under the age of 18 would be allowed to attend any gathering organized by any member of the forum without adult guardian supervision. and it worked well. I do suggest that this forum should also adopt this rule.

Alternately we may have to go to my second suggestion that you send me your postal address via personal message, and I will get a package together and post to you. 

After you receive the goods the next step would be to learn how to best use them, I would suggest we arrange a meeting with DerekD and we could have a session together, this would need you to be accompanied by a supervisor as well.

I could pick you and your adult supervisor up and travel over the north side to meet up with Derek at a time that suits all involved.

Frank

Postage sounds good to me and I perfectly understand the adult supervision thing with the parents. Always better to be safe than sorry. I’ll send my address to you via private message in a bit. Thanks.

Li

5 minutes ago, Kireldaa said:

Postage sounds good to me and I perfectly understand the adult supervision thing with the parents. Always better to be safe than sorry. I’ll send my address to you via private message in a bit. Thanks.

Li

Li, there is an opportunity here for your dad to broaden his horizons beyond groper! After all, it's not always possible to fish for groper when the weather is bad 😎

I know your dad's taste in fish, it's very similar to many in my family :) BUT if you're a good cook and/or appreciate good food, there's a tremendous amount you can do with a very large variety of fish species.

• Like 1