Slow down and catch more bass

FishingFables

Hi everyone,

It has been a cracker of a bass season so far in my part of the world on the east coast of NSW. I'm addicted to surface fishing for bass and I tend to get very excited when my lure or fly lands in the strike zone right up against those banks under the shade of overhanging trees.

My excitement often translates to the way i work my surface lure - pop-popping it back to my canoe. I tend to forget some of my biggest bass have hit the lure/fly when it is stationary. Here's a short video to show what I mean - you'll see the bass strikes at my surface fly shortly after it lands but I fail to hook up. I then keep popping the fly for no result, think the fish has lost interest and put my rod down. A few seconds later the bass inhales the fly! It's a lesson worth remembering.

Cheers
Jason

• Like 2

I think often what happens here is the fish is just sitting under the lure or following it, once it stops they see their opportunity to hit it.

I’d hate to think how many times I’ve pulled a surface lure away from a big bass that was just waiting for my lure to pause.