Narrabeen Lagoon To Open Today

blackant

G'day all,

just read in the Manly Daily that after yesterdays downpour the council is going to open the lagoon today at 12 noon. Get in early for your fishing spot on the beach as i'm sure there will be quite a few people who have been waiting for the lagoon to open.

Here's a few pics taken yesterday arvo, didn't turn out as well as i thought.

Cheers

Blackant

post-617-1137626615_thumb.jpg

post-617-1137626623_thumb.jpg

post-617-1137626630_thumb.jpg

Edited by blackant

After seeing the amount of posts on the site recently regarding the opening of the lake, I can only imagine the mayhem that it's going to cause down there.

Sounds like every fisho and their dog will be there.

Go get em Raiders! :biggrin2:

Shane

:1fishing1:

G'day all,

just read in the Manly Daily that after yesterdays downpour the council is going to open the lagoon today at 12 noon. Get in early for your fishing spot on the beach as i'm sure there will be quite a few people who have been waiting for the lagoon to open.

Cheers

Blackant

Yep, just got a call from a mate, they've just about got it open :thumbup:

Gus

whats so great about it opening?

what can we expect to come from it?

sharky just called me asking me to go for a night bash there with him but i blew him off because i dont see the point in driving that far unless its going to be worth it...

*cough* 1000 *cough*

Congratulations Chris on your 1000th post and I got the same call but didnt blow him off as the fish will be pouring out of the lake and the predators will be waiting :1yikes:

Cheers Swordfisherman

:074::074::074: Congratulations on 1000 mate

Just call Stewy he will tell you how good it is Im keen to head down and hopefully make it for the tide change. Apparently theres usually people standing in ankle deep water with landing nets just scooping up fish

I think this has Jews writen all over it and as I dont have to start work till 1pm tomorow Im gonna have a crack at it. Any other raider heading down tonight??

Congats on the 1000 posts Chris. :thumbup:

I think Swordfisherman gives a good explanation of why it would be a good idea to wet a line there this evening.

If I was based in Sydney I'd be down there tonight with a few live baits and/or big plastics.

If anyone is getting down there please take your camera and try to take a few shots for those of us not able to be there to see and fish the run off. :biggrin2:

Shane

:1fishing1:

Hi Davy,

No such thing as a silly question, thats what a website such as fishraider is all about - answering any question anyone has., the mouths of lagoons naturally silt up due to coastal processes and the sediment coming out of the lagoons themselves, and prior to the development by humans the opening of a lagoon system was something that happened naturally. Unfortunately by the time that happens these days alot of the houses around Narrabeen lakes would be flooded so the council under responsibilty to the rate payers have to open it up. Obviously the longer a loagoon is closed the larger and more prolific the species within the lagoon grow and multiply...

Thats my understanding of the situation anyway.

DanT

I see.. thanks.

It does sound tempting! we'll see, dont know if i will head down or not

As a Southside Fishraider with absolutely zero chance of getting up to Narra tonight I'm BEGGING any of you who do get up there to take pictures and give reports on what's going on.

The opening of an estary to the sea is one of those rare fishing moments that really should be documented!!

Seething with frustration . . .

Mondo

On the subject of Narrabeen lake Chris and I are heading down there tonight to have a crack at whatever will take a plastic or bait. We will be also targeting jews any tips on where are the best spots to fish for them

would be great I have only fished there once. Is there any Lagoon opening experts out there that can lend a hand to 2 very excited Narrabeen lagoon opening greenhorns :biggrin2:

Hiya fellas/fellettes(?); just one thing if you are gonna fish the opening. Lots are talking about using plastics. Might be a tough cast into the teeth of a strong east-sou-easter. Have watched some guns in the past take advantage of the outflow-falling tide and cast out big floating jewie minnows, then let the flow carry the minnow out another 50-80metres. Gives your lure a lot of time in the water on each retrieve!!! Might be a thought for those headin there (though was interesting when a guy got hit at the start of the retieve when he had about 120 metres of line out!! Then again maybe if the outflow is strong enough and you use a resin head SP you could do a similar thing. Cheers Bombie

Just had a look. I'll be staying home tonight.

It's a bit disappointing, there is a channel about a car's width wide (maybe a little more), and it looks about a foot deep, maybe a little more.

From the angle I looked, I would say that the channel flows down to sea level, such that a high tide might not even allow water to flow back into the lake to assist in a good flushing.

With luck and more rain the channel may open out some more and become properly open and allow numbers of fish to get out.

If I weren't at work tomorrow I'd be be praying for heavy rain tonight and be down there before first light tomorrow morning.

Good luck to all those who venture out.

Sharky - apparently a big fat bully mullet is the way to go!

Cheers,

Neil

I have the next two days off. I live right on the lake so if anyone is keen to wether the storm i'm ready to go. Sharky are you up for that kayak trip.

Looks like a raider social day :074::074:

Just had a look. I'll be staying home tonight.

It's a bit disappointing, there is a channel about a car's width wide (maybe a little more), and it looks about a foot deep, maybe a little more.

From the angle I looked, I would say that the channel flows down to sea level, such that a high tide might not even allow water to flow back into the lake to assist in a good flushing.

BUt at least its FINALLY open :yahoo:

Guest bluecod

The outflow should cut it deeper and wider with each low tide, though I have seen it block back up within a couple of days and Council had to re-dig the channel.

Not only will there be an exodus of fish from the lake, anything living in the sand that is washed away will also become tucker - a lagoon opening is a bit like a new MacDonalds offering free fast food at a League Grand Final. The fishing should be pretty good along that section of beach for a couple of weeks.