Tackle bag for kayaking

horsleyboy

What does everyone use for their tackle bag? I use a general backpack, which i'm able to store everything. This is great to just sling on to my back, but it is heavy. 

Looking at buying something specific for kayak fishing (inside lakes and dams). The hardest part i find is containing all of my hard body lures without getting tangled and caught when i need to swap one out for example, but easier enough to access on the fly (no pun intended). 

I just use one of these tackle trays. They float, pretty water resistant and never had any issues with tangling. My mate has a small tackle box he just tucks in the rear storage, works well for him. I only really take a couple of rigs and a couple of lures apart from what's already rigged. 

I have a main tackle bag that's huge and way to big which I store all my tackle in and then distribute for day trips unless I plan on going on a proper trip and I'll take all the tackle and distribute. With the kayak, try and limit the amount of tackle you bring, as you will save so much more time instead of rigging for every situation, rember if you don't have a line in the water you have no chance to get a fish. 

Screenshot_20230210-103241.png

2 options to stop your hard bodied lures from tangling is firstly, those plastic caps that go over the trebles, though they are bulky and expensive. A better option is to buy a pack of small, dog grooming rubber bands, lay your hooks neatly along the body of your lure and slip a band over the hooks, linking the two trebles together. It’s compact, quick, cheap and you can fit a stack of lures in a standard tackle tray. I'm using bigger bands in the pic. but the dog grooming ones are much smaller and just slip over without multiple winds.

For everything not needed all that often, I stow in a hatch or in a Pelican, waterproof case.

IMG_0979.jpg

Edited by Green Hornet