Watersnake Geo-Spot 65lb trolling motor

adkel53

Hi I have one and only tried it out once. The boat is a Savage scorpion 485 SF and I had to make a bracket to hold the motor, 60 inch shaft which was needed for the high bow of the Scorpion.

The power supply was a 180 amp hour battery and I used the motor at about full power to both troll around the bay and hold possition with anchor lock.

I only got approx 5 hours out of the battery before it reached 11.5 volts ( not a good idea to go beyond 12 volts ) but I did give it a really hard work out.

With normal fishing I would say the battery would last much longer but I wanted to give the motor a hard work out.

I have another 105 amp hour battery which I will be using in the future .

The motor worked extremely hard and on a slightly smaller boat would be ideal.

I looked at both Minn Kota and Motorguide and I am on a pension so money was an issue. Glad I chose the watersnake, IF I was working with a proper job I would probably have chosen the Motorguide.

Frank

• 9 months later...

Hi Guys new to the site, I have a Watersnake geospot which came with my boat, it hadn’t been used for awhile, it won’t disengage the tilt relay/switch and flashes redlight and won’t run. Does anyone know where the tilt switch is located and what it looks like, waiting for the support team to get back to me but sick of waiting.

I am also considering a snake for my boat but worried I may need 24v version .  Spoke to a guy at ramp  last week who had one and he was very happy with it.  He advised getting the  seperate gps attachment as he said the spotlock was more accurate and reponsive since adding it.

Frank.  Out of curiosity,  how big is your boat?

On 12/2/2023 at 7:47 PM, campr said:

I am also considering a snake for my boat but worried I may need 24v version .  Spoke to a guy at ramp  last week who had one and he was very happy with it.  He advised getting the  seperate gps attachment as he said the spotlock was more accurate and reponsive since adding it.

Frank.  Out of curiosity,  how big is your boat?

My boat is a Savage Scorpion 485sf 16 ft. It has a reasonably high bow and the 60" 12 volt does an all right job in bay or river but outside if I had to do it again i would opt for the 24 volt 66" shaft . My 60" 12volt is 65 lb thrust where the 24 volt is 80lb just a bit more prop in the water and a bit more power. 2 batterys needed that I can't afford so will have to make do with the 60".

scorpioncropped.thumb.jpg.a63aaaa2e320fe449f37f5e95216407a.jpg

Photo before electric fitted.

bowmountbracket6.thumb.jpg.07e8a54d6fcb2c64b45df468d51a4065.jpg

Bracket I made for electric. I removed the bow rail altogether.

bowmountbracket4.thumb.jpg.39a8e23afb86b5a1805eec554593a01c.jpg

Bracket I made for shaft and head of electric to sit on so it was held firm while not deployed.

Frank

I am selling the scorpion and will fit the electric watersnake to this boat 5.5 heavy glass so the motor will be up against it but I will just have to see if it copes, if not I will have to resort to a 5hp outboard and anchors.

pride1.JPG.73b5d1956b45fbdc3966a47089caa6b2.JPG

Frank

16 hours ago, campr said:

Lpve to know if motor hanles your bigger boat Frank.  I have a 5.6 Quinnie.   A bloke in my club has a 5.2 quintrex and recons it goes ok but he dousnt  go outside.  Ron 

Campr if your boat is 5.6m you will definitely need a 24v motor probably 80"lb thrust with a 72" shaft, particularly if fishing offshore..

Buyer beware ! Not high quality.

My son laid out $2k of his apprentices wage on one , and less than 2 years later it’s had water intrusion into the ‘fully sealed’ electric motor and it’s inoperable.

He never had any fishing line around it & washed / cleaned it in fresh water after use. I’m not sure this  product is fit for purpose.

The warranty is only 1 year , which is poor for an item of this value & there’s no warranty information on the Watersnake website - which should ring alarm bells as well. You need to go through a separate service company & they want to charge you to freight it to them at an expensive hourly rate just to look at it, & no guarantees they can fix it.

Has anyone else had issues with their Watersnake & lack of service / warranty?

He’ll be looking at the better brands with longer warranty, once he’s saved enough to get another one…

• Sad 1