Trevally, but what type (Barred Trevally)

Volitan

Question

Has anyone caught any of these odd looking trevally lately? There are masses of them on the Central Coast at the moment. At first glance they look like our common old silver trevally, but you can tell they are not by the long 2nd dorsal and anal fin, the lack of an opercular spot, thé absence of visible tail scutes, and the little rounded first dorsal. Also not a good fit for bigeye trevally or bluefin trevally which I read are the next most common in our area.

After doing a bit of research, I’m thinking thicklip trevally.

they are all about 200mm long so late juveniles

very persistent and amazingly proficient bait stealers.

anyone familiar with these?

04A0BCE5-611A-4745-81C4-4A5B7EFC279A.png

5 answers to this question

@Volitan My guess would be a Barred Trevally Carangoides ferdau.(Juvenile)  Not to uncommon in NSW.

Certainly not a Thicklip Trevally (Now called Island Jack ... Don't ask me why 🤷‍♂️ ) as there is no Gold spots on the side.

Here's a photo of a Thicklip (Island Jack) and a Barred Trevally.

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/123485144

Always happy to be corrected though.

• Like 1

Barred trevally looks right. Thank you for that.

i never knew they existed.

it would be interesting to know what happens to them. I assume these are summer visitors from warmer waters just like bonito, how long do they stay in our area, how big do they grow here. Do they complete a reverse migration in autumn - if so how late? 

cheers

I am certainly no expert Volitan.

But I would "GUESS" they may come down on the East Coast Current a bit like Pennantfish.

They have been recorded in NSW throughout Winter so to answer your question about migration/size etc ... I have no idea.

They are also called Blue Trevally .... not to be confused with Bluespot Trevally or Bluefin Trevally.   Bloody confusing isn't it.

1 hour ago, Blackfish said:

I am certainly no expert Volitan.

But I would "GUESS" they may come down on the East Coast Current a bit like Pennantfish.

They have been recorded in NSW throughout Winter so to answer your question about migration/size etc ... I have no idea.

They are also called Blue Trevally .... not to be confused with Bluespot Trevally or Bluefin Trevally.   Bloody confusing isn't it.

I agree with ID

I've seen plenty of random trevally species over the years