Rock fishing Rod recommendations?

Stokesy99

Recently been getting into fishing on some local ledges, I've been fishing estuaries, beaches and local bays from shore my entire life with old gear from my Dad, but only started upgrading to newer gear in the past 12 months.

Currently my only real useful setup off the rocks is my Samaki Gen 3, 10 foot 6 Surf Rod paired with a Daiwa BG 5000 and 50lb braid - Which was originally bought as a beach set and forget and occasional metal spinning setup.

That setup is good at throwing out big lures and sinkers upwards of 50g, but its not ideal when you're casting metals all day long!

I have a Spinfisher VI 4500 here that I have spooled up with 20lb braid ready to go, so ideally im looking for a rod thatll handle anything average sized off the rocks down in the South Coast of NSW (Kiama to Ulladulla)

My current thoughts are to go with one of the following rods within a budget of $250 and length preference of 8-10 foot;

Daiwa Sensor Wave $129

Daiwa Over There $179

Does anyone have experience with either of these rods or have any suggestions in my price range? The rod will 99% of the time be throwing metals to start with as theyre the cheapest effective lure to lose while I'm learning the rocks.

Though I suspect anything I choose will be better then smoking up my girlfriends poor 2-4kg flathead setup on Bonitos again 🤣

Cheers guys

Although I own neither rod you mention, I have had a few casts of an Overthere and value for money, they would have to one of the best rods on the market. They’re extremely popular amongst beach and rock lure fishermen and its extremely rare to hear any negative comments about them.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Green Hornet said:

Although I own neither rod you mention, I have had a few casts of an Overthere and value for money, they would have to one of the best rods on the market. They’re extremely popular amongst beach and rock lure fishermen and its extremely rare to hear any negative comments about them.

Good to know, they seem to be getting hard to find locally in store to test so I may have to buy online if thats the rod I choose.

26 minutes ago, Stokesy99 said:

Good to know, they seem to be getting hard to find locally in store to test so I may have to buy online if thats the rod I choose.

Possibly they’re hard to find due to a new model about to be released (just guessing). That could also explain the discounted price as they used to be a lot more than $179.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Green Hornet said:

Possibly they’re hard to find due to a new model about to be released (just guessing). That could also explain the discounted price as they used to be a lot more than $179.

Yeah I heard somewhere that they were now discontinued, so I may grab one while I still can! Beautiful looking rod, basically half price from RRP and have now heard from a few different people that they're one of the best value rock rods they've ever owned.

I can always pick up a Sensor Wave to try out at a later date as they seem to be readily available almost everywhere.

• Like 1

There are heaps of posts here on the rods to use.

I have two for rock fishing.

Dawia overthere 11ft & a Penn Prevail 2 10ft. Both are excellent rods.

Two reels I use are both Penn. 5000 clash & 4500hs 4 slammer.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rebel said:

I have a Dawia Sensor Wave. It is 9ft 7''

I only use it at the beach for throwing lures.

Nice rod. But not in the same street as Penn Prevail 2 or a Dawia Overthere rods.

Cheers.

Thats awesome that you've been able to try out the rods that I'm curious about!

Seems like I can't go wrong with either of those 2 options(Penn and Overthere), and theyre both around the same price!

I like the design of the Penn and I've heard it can take a bit of a beating with the Carbon Shield tech, but I've also heard nothing but good things about the OverThere rods. 

Might have to come down to a flip of a coin on this decision 😅

The Penn Prevail rods are bullet proof ( my opinion. )

I had a 12ft mark one & made a mistake & sold it. Thats why I bought a mark2.

The Dawia overthere rods cast a mile plus. A lot of people just didn't know how good they are plus they started with a $300 price tag. But at $179.00 they were a bargain.

Also the ABU Garcia veritas 4 rods are a top rod. The 12ft comes in a 3 pce.

Hope this helps.

Happy buying & check prices, there are some bargains out there.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Rebel said:

The Penn Prevail rods are bullet proof ( my opinion. )

I had a 12ft mark one & made a mistake & sold it. Thats why I bought a mark2.

The Dawia overthere rods cast a mile plus. A lot of people just didn't know how good they are plus they started with a $300 price tag. But at $179.00 they were a bargain.

Also the ABU Garcia veritas 4 rods are a top rod. The 12ft comes in a 3 pce.

Hope this helps.

Happy buying & check prices, there are some bargains out there.

Gonna check out Penn Prevails and OverTheres if I can find any OverTheres lol, tomorrow morning.

Also gonna go and check out the Daiwa Saltist Hyper range as a more expensive option