Catching Livies...

pottsy77

Greetings fellow fishos.

I have been reading the reports on this site with much enjoyment for months but this is my first post to date.

So far i have had a great summer with plenty of good fish and lots of Kingies including 7 in one session last week and a current PB of 84cm. I usually fish around the wedding cakes or the various marker bouys within the harbour. I have caught all of the kings on Yakkas. I catch the Yellowtail at the wedding cakes.

The problem is often the Yakkas aren't around at the Wedding cakes or if they are they are very elusive. :1badmood:

I launch out of Rose Bay (in a very small tinnie!). Can anyone suggest any fail safe sites (or as fail safe as they can be!) to catch livies on the Eastern side of the harbour.

I have also spent many an hour trying to jig for squid over the various so called "hot spot" kelp beds but to no avail. Is there a particular colour or size of jig that works better than others? Or time of day or state of tide?

Any advice on the above two issues would be much appreciated.

Cheers

JP

Clifton garderns is one of the most consistent place i would think to get my stocks of livies. Just a little bit of berley and the nice gummy bear size yakkas goes crazy. Do try and get there b4 the sun comes up and there would be heaps for the well.

regards

DArryl

Guest lbgking

Mate if your chasing Yakkas don't be afraid to Berley up. I use a mix of bread and cubed pilchards that I hit with the :wife: potato masher. The bread acts as a distractant for sweep and the other crap species by holding them on the surface while the pilies drop down and attract the Yakkas/Slimeys.

Clifton garderns is one of the most consistent place i would think to get my stocks of livies. Just a little bit of berley and the nice gummy bear size yakkas goes crazy. Do try and get there b4 the sun comes up and there would be heaps for the well.

regards

DArryl

is clifton gardens where the naval waters are??with the long wharfs everywhere??

Try near the marker at the north-western point of Shark island. Berley up well with chook pellets mashed up cat food and a bit of tuna oil. A few weeks ago I got a big cloud of yakkas going.

Good luck (& leave some kingies for me...!)

Cheers,

Neil

mate a great place to get Yakka's is where your launching from, Rose bay. Just sprinkle bread crumbs and five minutes later the yakka's will come, cliffo's is good also.

With squidding the most important thing is to get quality jigs, not cheap shit ones, Orange and pink work very well.

mate a great place to get Yakka's is where your launching from, Rose bay. Just sprinkle bread crumbs and five minutes later the yakka's will come, cliffo's is good also.

With squidding the most important thing is to get quality jigs, not cheap shit ones, Orange and pink work very well.

i was at rosebay last week. i used heaps of burley and i got NOTHING at all..maybe i was there at the wrong time