Minn Kota Ontopender

quintrex

I am considering installing a Minn Kota (55lb) on a Quintrex 450 Topender.

Has anyone fitted a bow mounted MK AP onto a topender style boat with the

front seating platform 400mm lower than the foredeck? The foredeck is

600mm long.

Has anyone used a bow mounted leccy at sea for trolling? Is this really

practical with the driver's weight at the pedestal seat in the bow when

steering?

Could a bow mounted leccy provide a viable emergency back up for a failed

main motor by locking the leccy in forward position and steering the boat

from the rear using the skeg of the failed motor?

Thanks,

Quintrex

600mm long.

Has anyone used a bow mounted leccy at sea for trolling? Is this really

practical with the driver's weight at the pedestal seat in the bow when

steering?

Could a bow mounted leccy provide a viable emergency back up for a failed

main motor by locking the leccy in forward position and steering the boat

from the rear using the skeg of the failed motor?

Thanks,

Quintrex

I have RP 55 minnkota mounted on the front of our plycraft 4.1 and its quite a heavy boat and 1 do not take paddles with me ,so it is my back up as well as my fishing motor .The only trouble with offshore work in swells is the leccy can ride up out of the waves and free spin in the air at times till you return to the water.This electric motor can steer for you in auto pilot ,I have never used the rear steering or outboard leg to do what you are asking .

Cheers Swordfisherman

Thanks Swordfisherman, how well does the AP work at sea? I would expect it to "hunt" excessively but of course I have no experience. Does the motor overspeed when out of the water? If not then I guess the only problem is loss of boat speed.

Thanks,

Quintrex

Thanks Swordfisherman, how well does the AP work at sea? I would expect it to "hunt" excessively but of course I have no experience. Does the motor overspeed when out of the water? If not then I guess the only problem is loss of boat speed.

Thanks,

Quintrex

Its just the bouncing up and down and its ok to have the prop out of the water for a while ,but if it was that bad outside you would not be there or using your electric motor. :thumbdown:

Cheers Swordfisherman

Edited by Guest

Mate ive been making some enquiries in regards to a 460 Topender and been asking the same questions.

I am told by a few dealers that a 55pd will work ok, but for trolling they advise a 24volt 74pd unit. A 55 will drain a lot qiucker.

With the higher sides of this style of boat wind becomes your enemy not just the weight, making the leccie work overtime.They sit over 1 meter high.

Now bear in mind this is info for a 460 not a 450. The 460 has a pod style transon and some 40 kg heavier, so youd think a 55 would be ok but not brilliant for trolling.

Agree with Swordy too, dont rely on it outside.

600mm long.

Hi, Mind if I ask if you've gone any further with this? I've a 460 topender and woundn't mind a Minn Kota fitted either. Stupidly I didn't think I'd need the bow mount plate fitted when I was speccing the boat so am wondering how you've mounted it.

Minn Kota have now produced a new mount design for this purpose. Gone is the old steel plate on plate sliding design which was a bit ugly at best, and in is the two piece white plastic design which looks a lot better.

One inner part is bolted to the boat, and the surrounding part attaches to the Minn Kota. When you want to attach it, it simply slips over the inner piece and is then pinned together with a removable 'u' pin. Its looks pretty good and costs about $140.00. Alternatively some people get a fabricator to weld a plate on but thats a messy way to do it.

Heres a pic, they do come it white.

post-229-1138592422_thumb.gif

Hope this helps. :thumbup:

Edited by Grantm

Minn Kota have now produced a new mount design for this purpose. Gone is the old steel plate on plate sliding design which was a bit ugly at best, and in is the two piece white plastic design which looks a lot better.

One inner part is bolted to the boat, and the surrounding part attaches to the Minn Kota. When you want to attach it, it simply slips over the inner piece and is then pinned together with a removable 'u' pin. Its looks pretty good and costs about $140.00. Alternatively some people get a fabricator to weld a plate on but thats a messy way to do it.

Heres a pic, they do come it white.

post-229-1138592422_thumb.gif

Hope this helps. :thumbup:

oh that looks the goods, many thanks