Beginner journey into Kayaking

Bohono

Been thinking of a getting either a boat or a kayak this year but I finally decided on the latter. I've been eyeing a couple 2nd hand hobies and a Mirage Revolution 13 has caught my eye, can any owners of the model list any pros and cons of the kayak and what to look out for in a 2nd hand model.
Looking for an all around kayak so if there's any other suggestions I'm down to look into them. 

• Like 2

I’ve got a Hobie Sport that I use for bass in small creeks. The reason Hobies hold their value so well is they don’t really have too many issues, and the aftersales support is amazing as you can pretty much buy every part you need to repair them brand new from Hobie.

If anything the only part you really need to look at is the mirage drive itself, pedal it with your hands and ensure there are no obvious creaks or grinding, no rust on the chain obviously, then ensure the rudder lines move freely and aren’t frayed in any way.

• Thanks 1

The revolution is great of bays and offshore, really hard in creeks and smaller estuaries. Yes you can stand with good balance but the outback is better. It's not the most stable out there but the speed and turning circle make up for it. Also get ready to tilt on angles, I can't rember the exact word but it's when you lean a bit to the side to have more surface area on the water. 

Things to look for, shir a torch inside particularly at the front and back and if you see the light coming through or much light at all, the hull is thin and you might want to put a keep guard on.

The Revo has plenty of room if you pack well and light. If you over pack, it will be a living night mare. Also look for cracks where the pedal drive slots in.

They're fairly light and easy to transport. Good luck reaching the front hatch on the water, you sit fairly low, and hence have a low centre of gravity, which I prefer. I found that the round front and rear hatch aren't the easiest to close, and I have changed the rubbers. Look for one with the sailing rudder. 

Other than that I'm very happy with it, just being able to transport it easier was a big part for me and because of the damage to the shoulder, I needed the pedal drive or motor 

• Like 1

Really depends on what you have in mind for fishing

I have an outback and love it, it really is the general use kayak which will do everything reasonably well but doesn't excel in any one area specifically. I can stand on mine but it can still get a little unstable. It comes ready to fish straight from the shop, comes standard with the180 d fins meaning you can reverse. Some cons; its fairly heavy and awkward to carry around, I car top it.

PA are big and a lot more stable but you need a trailer, turn like a truck. Pros; you can carry everything, stand on it super stable. Cons: slow, turns crap.

Revos are faster with less carrying capacity and really excel at off shore work. Pros: fast, lighter than outback and PA, goes through swell and chop better than outbackCons: limited space, not sure if they are Mirage drive180 d compatible.

Compass is a good deal cheaper, but less carrying capacity and need some upgrades to be on the level with and outback. They are also less stable.  Pros: cheaper and lighter than outback, can be upgraded to be on the carrying capacity of an outback. cons: need to spend the cash to upgrade, doesnt come with 180d fins standard, less stable and the seat is mean to be crap.

You have the passports which Id only look at the 12 as an option, but then id go a compass in preference.

Lynx, if I could buy a second kayak this would be it, its a cross between a sup and a kayak. Perfect for rivers and esturaries. Its super light and can be kitted out well. easily carried and set up by most ppl. Cons:

cause you sit high on the water, it can be effected by chop and wind. Can also be easily damaged due to it being made of a lighter material.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bennyg78 said:

Really depends on what you have in mind for fishing

I have an outback and love it, it really is the general use kayak which will do everything reasonably well but doesn't excel in any one area specifically. I can stand on mine but it can still get a little unstable. It comes ready to fish straight from the shop, comes standard with the180 d fins meaning you can reverse. Some cons; its fairly heavy and awkward to carry around, I car top it.

PA are big and a lot more stable but you need a trailer, turn like a truck. Pros; you can carry everything, stand on it super stable. Cons: slow, turns crap.

Revos are faster with less carrying capacity and really excel at off shore work. Pros: fast, lighter than outback and PA, goes through swell and chop better than outbackCons: limited space, not sure if they are Mirage drive180 d compatible.

Compass is a good deal cheaper, but less carrying capacity and need some upgrades to be on the level with and outback. They are also less stable.  Pros: cheaper and lighter than outback, can be upgraded to be on the carrying capacity of an outback. cons: need to spend the cash to upgrade, doesnt come with 180d fins standard, less stable and the seat is mean to be crap.

You have the passports which Id only look at the 12 as an option, but then id go a compass in preference.

Lynx, if I could buy a second kayak this would be it, its a cross between a sup and a kayak. Perfect for rivers and esturaries. Its super light and can be kitted out well. easily carried and set up by most ppl. Cons:

cause you sit high on the water, it can be effected by chop and wind. Can also be easily damaged due to it being made of a lighter material.

Great overveiw 

yeah you can put the 180 drive in the revo.

the compass will probably be the most all round as you said an dyou can pick them up pretty cheap secondhand, though the outback is also a greta option 

Thanks for the advice all, I am planning to fish in the Harbour and Botany but first I am planning to learn my local (Chipping Norton) so I get used to using the kayak and such. Looking for a more lightweight model so definitely not the PA as I will be car topping the kayak.

Would the Revo 13 be too long for a lake like the Chippo? Otherwise I'll look into some Compass's and Outbacks 

Also I would like to go offshore with the kayak but that would be way into the future but the option for that would be nice. 

Yeah will be fine. Like running up and down little creeks that are like 5m wide nope. Like I have a second kayak to do crab runs and stuff like that. 

Compass and outback are also good for that to, but if your thinking just to fish bays and the harbour, like outback might be the way to go, the revo is awesome for covering long distance and offshore, but still great in the bays. Outback the nose isnt really suited to punching through waves and surf. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bennyg78 said:

@Bohono if you want more advice give HWS a call. They are a hobie dealer in Lake Macquarie and will be able to recommend a few models.

Its also worthwhile looking on their socials as they have sale and used yaks for sale

Cheers, I'll give them a call and book a demo.