Jigging setup

Bloggsy

What are the lure weights. Are you talking a heavy, medium or light jigging set up. Slow pitch or fast pitch jigging? Did you want an overhead reel or a spinning outfit.

What budget do you have to work with?

Edited by DerekD
  • Like 2

I never enjoyed high speed jigging and always opted for a more sedate action with my jigs which would often out fish the high speed lads around me. I've had some pretty high end jig outfits but since Shimano brought out the grappler range of rods, Im finding these are now my go to rods. Super soft parabolic action but with the power when needed. I like the way its so effortless to work jigs, either for kings or on smaller reef species. On a tight budget look at the Storm Gomoku rods, such good value.

• Like 3

I do most of my Jigging now on a couple of old Hamachi rods matched up to either of my old Saragosa reels 8000 and 12000 from memory.

I like JonD, prefer to mix it up when Jigging, a bit of the high speed jigging, then quickly tiring from that and going with the more sedate action/version as well.

Most of my rods and reels get used for all sorts of fishing, guess if I spent some serious coin I could have a better outfit, but I'm tight ! and I use what I got 😁.

Marketing, alot of the time, would have you believe all the new technology in rod design and for that matter reels, is the only way to successfully fish, buy what you can afford to use, you'll still catch fish...

In saying all that, I went out a few months back, with a Neighbour, used his gear, which was all super top end stuff, Yep, I will admit, new Tech stuff specific by design, is extremely pleasurable to use, but hard to justify to her indoors with a shed full of rod and reels ...  😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, BaitDropper said:

I do most of my Jigging now on a couple of old Hamachi rods matched up to either of my old Saragosa reels 8000 and 12000 from memory.

I like JonD, prefer to mix it up when Jigging, a bit of the high speed jigging, then quickly tiring from that and going with the more sedate action/version as well.

Most of my rods and reels get used for all sorts of fishing, guess if I spent some serious coin I could have a better outfit, but I'm tight ! and I use what I got 😁.

Marketing, alot of the time, would have you believe all the new technology in rod design and for that matter reels, is the only way to successfully fish, buy what you can afford to use, you'll still catch fish...

In saying all that, I went out a few months back, with a Neighbour, used his gear, which was all super top end stuff, Yep, I will admit, new Tech stuff specific by design, is extremely pleasurable to use, but hard to justify to her indoors with a shed full of rod and reels ...  😆

It's a bit like the adage "You don't need a Rolls Royce to go to the shops for a litre of milk". Sometimes though, if life presents the opportunity, it's good to see how the other half live.

We, consumers, have never had it so hard...decisions to be made, reading all the hype, disregarding all the bull, and then wondering if we made the right choice. It's a tough life we lead, that's for sure. Remember when we had no choices? We skimped and saved, with only our own judgement to rely upon, to get the best we could afford. We've come a long way... bn

• Like 1

That's so true Neil.

I remember back in the day, the late night repair jobs on tackle before heading out for a fish the next day. My continued reluctance to buy a new rod, in a day where one rod did everything. My old rod was a hand me down from my father, I seriously don't know how it lasted as long as it did, but it caught some marvelous fish. And the reels I used, Well, I still haven't let go...  I luv the old Penn Senators, Now, with all the fantastic upgrades available, transforming the trusty old Senator into an absolute tank of a reel.

Are the new rendition Reels superior ??  Yes, of course they are,  with multi speed options and twin drag systems, there hard to beat, But I still fish with 3 or 4 various sized, tricked up Senators, purely because I can. They get sideways looks from all those that I fish with, in fact, a lot of fishing mates end up going for my Senators at some time during the day out and admit there quietly impressed with how tuff they are.  I have modern reels on board as well, my trusty Internationals are regularly used, but there's something about fishing with an antique, specially when you land a decent sized fish..

• Like 1