Parramatta River Herring

Duffy75

Yep, this lot came from Meadowbank Wharf:

image.png.0d63f7c6940c0ff4fc13cfcf2f5db7db.png

A bit patchy at times and you have to search for them, but you'll get a few once you find them. They are good bait. I haven't seen any for a few months now, suspect they are more of a warm water prospect. They take tiny lures (like 'aji' lures for yakkas) and bait jigs with gusto, not interested in bait or berley from what I've seen. I might throw flies for them come summer.

Any reason why you were after them in particular as opposed to other, easier to find baitfish? Just curious :) 

• Like 7

16 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

Yep, this lot came from Meadowbank Wharf:

image.png.0d63f7c6940c0ff4fc13cfcf2f5db7db.png

A bit patchy at times and you have to search for them, but you'll get a few once you find them. They are good bait. I haven't seen any for a few months now, suspect they are more of a warm water prospect. They take tiny lures (like 'aji' lures for yakkas) and bait jigs with gusto, not interested in bait or berley from what I've seen. I might throw flies for them come summer.

Any reason why you were after them in particular as opposed to other, easier to find baitfish? Just curious :) 

Just another bait option I have some frozen arrows, herring in the hawkesbury are a gun bait was just interested in trying them in the harbour I've caught some good jew and flatties on them before

• Like 1

12 hours ago, wazatherfisherman said:

We caught a few on tiny lures at Ferry St Hunters Hill a few months ago- they busted up like Tailor and we were surprised at the size of them- around 20cm, biggest ones I've seen in the river

Nice would love to throw one of them out for a decent jew

21 hours ago, Blackfish said:

Yes they do and have been recorded at Wentworth Point, Meadowbank Wharf, Putney etc, but can’t tell you how common they are.  

Thanks for that, if there is no herring would there be any other baitfish there like yakkas,mullet or even squid?

5 hours ago, Duffy75 said:

Thanks for that, if there is no herring would there be any other baitfish there like yakkas,mullet or even squid?

Unfortunately no other catchable baitfish in my experience, that far up the river. Would head down to Gladesville for yakkas for a more reliable option.

Mullet are around sometimes but hard to get them interested in bait or berley. 

Gars I have seen in hen and chicken and five dock bays, should target them some time as I really enjoy chasing them.

Haven’t tried for squid. I have heard of people getting them at kissing point years ago.

• Like 1

Yellowtail have been recorded up there but certainly not frequently seen . Maybe because they are not that common people don’t fish for them so you could give it a try. A loaf of bread, maybe a bit of tuna oil and see how you go. You may also get some Poddy Mullet around as well.

• Like 1

never caught herring in the Parra but in the Hawkesbury ive struggled to get them in winter-in fact i dont bother chasing them between May and October, always find them easy to catch around channel markers as long as there is a fair whack of current.

• Like 1