Bait Grounds Botany Bay - Tugs

Larkin

Hi guys, where exactly is “Tugs” (tugboat area) for catching live bait in Botany Bay. 
is this a restricted area? Or can you fish there?

looking for back up live bait spots close to the heads of Botany Bay.

• Like 1

I have always believed the area known as the Tugs was as the red marker on this map.

Some parts of the area is prohibited to fish being inside the perimeter if you drew a straight line between the two outer demensions of the shoreline to the marker at the right if this makes any sence.

The marker is slightly to the left of this line .

As a note be very careful if anchoring near this as the bottom is very snaggy. and a few anchors have been lost here, one of mine amongst them.

tugs(2).jpg.84d9cfd0881a2b559230e95a59e915b7.jpg

Frank

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

From Deckee:

IMG_0102.thumb.png.86b4f55d92fd93c85a6923e5c2e3fe8e.png

the restricted areas with the warning triangles are for height restrictions and the restricted area on the right where the ship icon (tugs) is level one no access for unauthorised vessels although I think many still duck inside behind the wall to get out of the weather. A lot of boats use spot lock there because it is so snaggy.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, frankS said:

I have always believed the area known as the Tugs was as the red marker on this map.

Some parts of the area is prohibited to fish being inside the perimeter if you drew a straight line between the two outer demensions of the shoreline to the marker at the right if this makes any sence.

The marker is slightly to the left of this line .

As a note be very careful if anchoring near this as the bottom is very snaggy. and a few anchors have been lost here, one of mine amongst them.

tugs(2).jpg.84d9cfd0881a2b559230e95a59e915b7.jpg

Frank

Thanks Frank - appreciate it! 👍

And thanks for the tip not to anchor.

I’ve been finding them on the artificial reef in Yarra bay in quite large numbers, but wanted a back up spot as I don’t fish out of Botany that often.

1 hour ago, XD351 said:

From Deckee:

IMG_0102.thumb.png.86b4f55d92fd93c85a6923e5c2e3fe8e.png

the restricted areas with the warning triangles are for height restrictions and the restricted area on the right where the ship icon (tugs) is level one no access for unauthorised vessels although I think many still duck inside behind the wall to get out of the weather. A lot of boats use spot lock there because it is so snaggy.

Thanks XD - appreciate it! 👍
just what I was looking for. 

• 2 weeks later...

Its also technically a restricted area by the port authority.

So if Maritime catch you their its just how they feel on the day if they fine you or just move you on!

I would not be trusting Deckee maps or even the DPI's own fishsmart app with local zoning!

https://www.nsw.gov.au/sites/default/files/2021-07/9f-botany-bay-lower-georges-cooks.pdf

Edited by Sharknado

I had a look at the map you linked to and it has the same areas marked out as Deckee does , it is really up to the discretion of the ports authorities, waterways and police and if they say leave - don’t argue the point just get out, even if you know you are not in a restricted zone .

I got a giggle out of the disclaimer on the map which I circled :074:

IMG_0110.thumb.jpeg.a4f488a594e6baac3d8a8554ab3c20e2.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1