how to remove water based paint from bricks?

leonardgid

43 minutes ago, noelm said:

Turps is useless for water based paint! How big an area do you want to do? Is it just splashed on paint, or a painted area? What do you want to do with the bricks after you clean the paint off?

this is an old place ,splashes on  old bricks ,  it will be only spot cleaning splashed paint ,        either   3 in one sealer primer undercoat   or top coat   either one water based , bricks will remain as is  after cleaning 

47 minutes ago, noelm said:

Turps is useless for water based paint! How big an area do you want to do? Is it just splashed on paint, or a painted area? What do you want to do with the bricks after you clean the paint off?

only splashed paint 

1 hour ago, Burger said:

A couple of questions  . .. .

What sort of area are you looking at and why are you wanting to take the paint off?

Do you know if an undercoat/primer was used?

exterior old bricks  have splashed 3 in 1  sealer, primer, undercoat,     or top coat        either one water based ,  painted some security window bars  and we got some of the paint on the bricks , not much at all  but  the  boss lady will not be happy if we leave it the way it is 

I’m not too sure about how many spots, how big an area or the porosity of the bricks you’re talking about, but methylated spirits will soften water based paint. Pour some onto a rag, tape it over the effected area for a while to do its job, then remove the paint with a scraper. 
As a builder, this has worked for me before, cleaning up after painters both out and inside.

• Like 2

A really good power washer will get it off, but it will wash off some of the brick and mortar too…….maybe try some kind of “environmentally friendly” paint stripper you now that citrus kind if stuff?

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Green Hornet said:

I’m not too sure about how many spots, how big an area or the porosity of the bricks you’re talking about, but methylated spirits will soften water based paint. Pour some onto a rag, tape it over the effected area for a while to do its job, then remove the paint with a scraper. 
As a builder, this has worked for me before, cleaning up after painters both out and inside.

thank you for that , i certainly will give it a go ,

6 hours ago, noelm said:

A really good power washer will get it off, but it will wash off some of the brick and mortar too…….maybe try some kind of “environmentally friendly” paint stripper you now that citrus kind if stuff?

thank you 

15 hours ago, noelm said:

I agree with you on this. For more stubborn spots on porous bricks, a gel type paint stripper applied thickly and scrubbed into the stain with a stiff bristle brush, then “blasted” with a strong jet from a garden hose should remove it.

• Like 2