Swing away drawbars thoughts?

Fab1

I’m looking at swing away drawbars I’ve been thinking about for a long time and finally really need as I’m short on space about half a meter for what I need to do.

I don’t like the idea of cutting trailer section off and the hinge they have (added flex/wear points) but I don’t have any other option to get the half meter or so I need.

Cheers.

59 minutes ago, JustJames said:

Never used one, but not a fan.  Apart from the physical, structural issues you raised, it's another element where human error can creep in.

True.

50 minutes ago, noelm said:

Lots of them in use, and I have never heard of a failure, has anyone ever heard of one breaking?

I need to get out more I’ve never seen one in real life.one thing I do know is they’ve doubled in price since I looked only 3-4yrs ago.

• Like 1

Lots of them on imported US trailers on some big boats…it’s quite a simple system, probably better being designed from new, but after market ones are good. When you look at trailers, some are very cheaply made, but they just keep going. Most couplings are just held on with two bolts, and never seen one fail..

6 minutes ago, noelm said:

Lots of them on imported US trailers on some big boats…it’s quite a simple system, probably better being designed from new, but after market ones are good. When you look at trailers, some are very cheaply made, but they just keep going. Most couplings are just held on with two bolts, and never seen one fail..

I’ll get something like this.IMG_1010.thumb.png.7f23715898f2d99fec9daebb373ef0e6.png

One of my trailers is fitted with one and I have never used it. towed the boat all over NSW up and down the coast for thousands of miles and never had an issue with it.

Got the trailer 2nd hand many years ago and although I have re-built the rear end of the trailer the draw bar with the swing away section has never been touched. The trailer also has a beach launch drawbar fitted when needed, that also has not been used.

Frank

7 hours ago, frankS said:

One of my trailers is fitted with one and I have never used it. towed the boat all over NSW up and down the coast for thousands of miles and never had an issue with it.

Got the trailer 2nd hand many years ago and although I have re-built the rear end of the trailer the draw bar with the swing away section has never been touched. The trailer also has a beach launch drawbar fitted when needed, that also has not been used.

Frank

Cheers mate I’ll buy and fit one when the time comes.