New Project

BaitDropper

Geez, that was a mission, couldn't add text after uploading the image..

Anyhows, the above window, was being ripped out of an old estate near Geelong in Victoria. Somehow, the grand old house had been missed off the heritage list and the new owners were quickly ripping out as much as they could before the council becoming interested. This window was in a loft area, above the 2nd floor, kind of in a gable type position. there was not really any access inside, to properly see the glass, . Anyways, some  folding stuff to the builders/demolition crew and the 3 of us managed to remove it without damaging to much. The house was circa 1870-80, which I found out afterwards,, the type of art work in the glass, I found out, was practiced in the Melbourne cbd by a shop/ art type place that mixed paints, hand painted wall papers etc etc, but only between the mid 1890's till 1905 when they closed down. So this item was probably made and produced in England and imported out here. It's kind of what looks like to me, a coat of arms as such, the design is painted onto a vinal product, which then has 2 very thin pieces of glass adhered to both sides of the picture. Ive had it for 3-4 years now and done nothing with it and the fact it survived the big move north and nearly knocked over many times in my shed, I thought it prudent to get in and try and make it more stable. I can't remove the glass, they have used an adhesive, both sides of the glass as a weather sealer and any attempt to break that sticky stuff would risk the glass breaking. So, very carefully I have been stripping the old original paint, cant use paint stripper because of the glass, so I've probably spent 20-30 hours so far, gently scrapping the paint. I had to remove some of the surrounding trims as they had worked loose and were ready to fall off.

My end aim then is to spent some time then sanding every nook and cranny, then to wax the timber, not re paint it.  When it's illuminated from behind, its quite stunning, and still in remarkable condition for something probably 130-140 years old.  I haven't really researched its heritage, there is some script in a language I am not familiar with, maybe Irish or even Welch,  But if it wasn't for me being johnny on the spot, this piece would have been sledge hammered into pieces and lost for ever.. that would have been a shame me thinks.

I just couldn't help myself when I saw what was about to happen to this piece.

Edited by BaitDropper
  • Like 2

Dunno but i can make two words out of the letters near the legs/ feet- hard to make out but the yellow arrowmis pointing to what might be the letter C?

IMG_0154.thumb.jpeg.9b220d46a1e7ec7980733ee0180827dc.jpeg

Then the words aultre navray bare a resemblence to the ones in the portrait below. Duke of burgundy so maybe it is old french language?

IMG_0156.thumb.jpeg.9ceb6af42887ca842444491f30ccc83d.jpeg

Where is it located ? 

Edited by XD351
  • Like 1

Thanks XD, very interesting, I'll have a closer look at those letters tomorrow... I haven't really researched any of that. Researched the glass painting process it has a name and even a book, but at $350 I passed on it 😁. I had a lot to do with leadlites in my trade and there was a lot of old ones I repaired with individually painted panes but between actual lead, but never a laminated one like this.

I spent another 2-3 hours on it this arvo, and after the paint removal, which was a linseed oil binder type, there was another layer of stuff that I had to scrape, sanding didn't remove it. which is now starting to reveal a beautiful grain. It should look great after it's all cleaned up and waxed.

This is seriously side tracking me even more, from taking the boat out and wetting a line.

.... Had to go down to the shed and see if that was indeed a C, where you were pointing, unfortunately it isn't, its just a blank square with colour.

I also think that clover looking bit down the bottom, may have some significance. Guess it will be one of those rainy day jobs searching the internet.

Either way, its a fantastic piece...

Edited by BaitDropper
  • Like 2

In the picture that has “golden” circled, I wonder if the other word might be “fleece”? It’s a very religious/biblical thing (nothing to do with the old petrol stations)  you can clearly see an fl and an e. It was something about Gideon asking God what to do I think?

edit……hang on, I just checked again, and “fleece” is also circled!

Edited by noelm

Way back in my younger days I used to restore old radios (wish I had taken photos) and record players, old wind up ones I mean. It was a great hobby and finding parts, or making parts was great fun. Things like that window might be worthless, or it might be very valuable, but sometimes you just have to spend the time and effort to make things “new” again.

• Like 1

Yeah, it's probably something I'll never find out any definitive answers on its back ground, but as I mentioned, I just couldn't let it be smashed up.

I've made plenty of leadlites over the years, but have never seen an example of decorative glass  like this.  We had an old Edwardian down in Melbourne, it kinda had a place in the corner of the lounge room,  but our new place is ultra modern, so I may not even display it when it's finished...  But just another example of me not being able to walk past things that catch my eye. I think alot here have that wee bug as well. Same thing with the original Ravia out riggers on my boat, I'd be better off just buying a new set, BUT, I just can't do it, I am compelled to restore and modernize the original old set,   I shake my head at myself sometimes...

1 hour ago, noelm said:

I had a set of Ravia outriggers myself, only got rid of them a few months ago, they were made in Rockdale in Sydney.

Yeah, there too small really, but one of my poles has been fibre glass bandaged up, so I will keep the actual fittings and try and replace the poles. Problem is the diameter of the old poles, different to all those available now, but I'll come up with something. But as mentioned, probably easier to get a complete new set, but I just want to keep it old school. Alot of old boats had the Ravia outriggers, even a mate with an old Bertram has them, there another metre longer, be ideal for me, but he won't part with them ( Yet ). 😁