Heads up

noelm

Just in case anyone is thinking of fishing off the rocks today, or even general boating for that matter, the swell is big, take care anywhere near the ocean. That’s Windang Island in the distance with the big sets breaking right over the front rock platform.

IMG_0159.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

23 minutes ago, Green Hornet said:

Do they still get good, left hand waves at Windang Island now they’ve reconfigured the lake entrance?
I had some really good big wave surfs there back in my prime.

Not really. The good lefts are just around the corner here at Barrack Point, southern rock platform on Shellharbour South beach ...it never used to get ridden back in the day but Kelly Slater made it famous a few years ago. Only breaks on really big swells from the north or east direction.

https://www.newsflare.com/video/498620/daring-surfer-gets-the-wave-of-the-day-at-huge-barrack-point-south-of-wollongong-monday-13622

Edited by Derny Driver
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Green Hornet said:

Do they still get good, left hand waves at Windang Island now they’ve reconfigured the lake entrance?
I had some really good big wave surfs there back in my prime.

Left hander still great when it’s big, the entrance is on the Northern side of the island. The left there is a very long ride….and equally as long paddle back out!

Edited by noelm
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Derny Driver said:

Is that your house Noel?

I saw a nice Markham cat parked out the front last week.

DD

Yes, that’s my place, but it’s a Sharkcat, centre console, currently doing some very overdue maintenance/renovations. Supposed to be finished already, but “things” kept getting in the way.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Derny Driver said:

Not really. The good lefts are just around the corner here at Barrack Point, southern rock platform on Shellharbour South beach ...it never used to get ridden back in the day but Kelly Slater made it famous a few years ago. Only breaks on really big swells from the north or east direction.

https://www.newsflare.com/video/498620/daring-surfer-gets-the-wave-of-the-day-at-huge-barrack-point-south-of-wollongong-monday-13622

I have surfed the left at Barrack Point decades ago, before Kelly Slater ever did, back in the late ‘60s and the right hander on the North side, plus Cowrie Island before it became “Cowries” 

3 minutes ago, noelm said:

I have surfed the left at Barrack Point decades ago, before Kelly Slater ever did, back in the late ‘60s and the right hander on the North side, plus Cowrie Island before it became “Cowries” 

I used to live in the Shire but we had neighbours had a holiday house ....about 5 or 6 doors east of yours? Its still there, little fibro place set back on the block. Ive seen the right break on a handful of occasions but never surfed it.

We would always go to either the Farm, the Shallows or the Boneyard. Cowries was always crowded. Never surfed Windang Island but we would regularly surf Green Island. So many choices. Fantastic part of the coast.

• Like 1

It sure is a great spot, even though it’s all developed now, it’s still has lots of appeal to fish and dive, Little Lake is a spectacular place for families, I take my grandkids down there sometimes for swim and BBQ breakfast during the summer before school.