Where can i eat fish in Sydney?

So sydney water is disgusting but the fish markets are too expensive sometimes. Are there any spots within sydney where i can eat fish from? I eat yakkas and trevs from balmoral, bream and whiting (sometimes flatties) from d y beach and thats about it. D y dont really fish well for so and i am looking for a bigger varety of spots. 

There is literally hundreds of spots to catch and safely eat fish, almost anywhere east of the bridge I would be OK eating fish from. Any beaches, rocks and so on will be fine. Not too sure I agree about your comment about the water being “disgusting” but that’s your choice.

3 hours ago, noelm said:

There is literally hundreds of spots to catch and safely eat fish, almost anywhere east of the bridge I would be OK eating fish from. Any beaches, rocks and so on will be fine. Not too sure I agree about your comment about the water being “disgusting” but that’s your choice.

Agreed. Sydney is a big place. Most of the emphasis on warnings is on the harbour system.

East of the harbour bridge is ok for fish consumption, provided you're not eating kilos per month. Officially you can only eat 150g per month, but when you go by species, you'll find that 150g limit really only applies to bream, tailor and silver biddie. Good luck catching a sea mullet in the harbour! Flathead, leatherjacket, you really can eat quite a lot:

image.thumb.png.b80112ef1b0df7949b19879e5887597a.png

See here: Fishing in Sydney Harbour (nsw.gov.au)

My take: East of the bridge, I eat fish, west, I don't. I release all bream because I no longer can be bothered eating a fish that I can only have 150g a month of.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dumpling Democratic said:

Also. What is the maximum intake of grams for all species? It dodnt really say on the website. Still really useful tho. Thanks LittleFlatty

You’re going to need to practice your high school maths! It’s cumulative. So if you have your 150g of bream, that’s your allowance of harbour fish/dioxins for the month.

Personally I will only eat from the 1800g and above category. And I don’t have enough time to fish enough to provide 2kg of harbour fish for my whole family every month. That’s the domain of more skilful raiders 😎

If you’re that worried about it, I’d just steer clear of eating harbour fish altogether. Plenty do. Personally I’m fine with it and the paltry volumes of fish I eat out of there are no concern whatsoever.

Only Sydney harbour is affected by this problem. Fish the Hawkesbury, lower Georges, port hacking systems and you don’t have much to worry about.