Urban Bassing Escapades

With the fishing offshore being quiet, I’ve decided to finally give bass fishing a go. After scouting around on google maps I found a couple of likely spots where I could have a flick for my first bass. I pull up to a local creek in Chipping Norton and flicked a cicada lure along a weed line, with a couple of steady winds a bass boofs the lure at my feet and out comes my first ever bass. It was a healthy fish considering in came from the dingy feeder creeks to Chipping Norton lake. 

IMG_8110.jpeg.070fc41192a6616ec8643a7ee360ef6c.jpeg

Fast forwards a couple days and I have become addicted to topwater bass, purchased 3 new cicada lures and every creek or pond I drive by I think about what could be under the surface. This time I fished further up stream from Chipping Norton in some more dodgy looking water, with a few bottles and shopping trolleys in the water but nevertheless still held bass willing to hit my cicada. Unfortunately I didn’t get to measure this fish but I’m sure I won’t be catching another bass the same size for a while. 

IMG_8120.thumb.jpeg.73d99b6169d35e142167b1934f0e92b7.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Great work @bobthelob2341, great work on your first Bass, that’s a pretty good size and healthy fish for city creek. It’s a great feeling when you get that surface hit. If you haven’t tried them feralcat lures in purple and black (or mixture). Also stmpjumpers and Ogee in small size work really well.

Looking forward to more of your freshwater reports. There is some great Bass water in the Deerrubbin (Colo / Hawkesbury) and plenty of land based spots. Interestingly, there are plenty of flathead mixed with the Bass - even in fresh water.

Edited by Pickles

Nice work and good size, sounds like you’ve caught the bass bug!

If you haven’t tried it yet, sometimes give long pauses after your cast lands till the rings from the splash dissipate, then a subtle twitch and another long pause. Another good one with cicada lures can be shaking on the spot, I.e. vigorous shaking of the rod tip with semi slack line with the lure hardly moving forward, again with plenty of pauses.

cheers,

Gus

• Like 1