Brays bay and entrance

Aussie_fisher

Had nothing to do so decided to take the bus to brays bay reserve for a fish at around 6 for 2 hours. Main goal was to practise using some soft plastics. Unfortunately the wind was terrible so casting and using retrieving techniques was a nightmare which was my main goal that flopped. Didn’t go in optimal tide timing either. Still managed two flatties though one tiny 27cm one and a decent 37cm one. I think the spot does have potential though so will try go again during the week with better planning as it is near my house. Have any of u fished there before? I also went fishing to the entrance with my dad around a week and a half ago and caught good fish. Somehow forgot to make a report. I think 20 good flatties between 36-45cm and 3 nice flounder. Unfortunately could only take 10 for a feed as per bag limit for 2. If anyone wants some entrance tips pm me as I think I have gathered some wisdom through fishing there countless times and happy to share it. Most people find it rubbish at first which I thought too used to catch nothing but 20cm bream. Now it’s one of my personal favourite spots however as I realised if you go to the correct areas on the correct tide etc: it is flathead heaven. Cheers 

CC2F75BF-0083-426C-AA61-358DA615071F.jpeg

• Like 4

Of all places I wouldn’t eat fish caught at brays bay , the reason we can’t eat west of bridge is cos of the industry that used to be at Rhodes - that’s basically ground zero! 

Warning aside, it fishes well I’ve had monster bream there on the wall in front of the restaurant as the tide sweeps out of the mangrove bay. Just on the right edge it’s a little deeper and a nice holding spot for bream - catch and release that is!

• Like 3

Ye those fish are from the entrance. Definitely Wouldn’t go to the heights of eating anything from near homebush bay haha god knows what union carbide pumped into there. Monster bream? On lures? I personally didn’t like the wall because tide was a bit lower and it was really rocky so lost 3 lures . I was fishing the park @Mike Sydney

• Like 1

Yes on soft plastics. Couple circles here the top one is a big rock submerged on a higher tide that often has fish and the lower one you can even see the deeper water in the picture. I think it’s a small eddy as the tide comes out of the southern mangrove bay.

IMG_3882.jpeg.4eca66cc296f35e12204624480902092.jpeg

• Like 1

Just now, Aussie_fisher said:

Hmmm does looks quite interesting. Will give it a shot if I don’t get snagged on those darn rocks 

I’ve snagged plenty there myself! Light as you can go makes them easier to unsnag I think and ultimately you have to play the snags to have a higher chance of catching. When I’m in gnarly snags like that often I’ll use a Zerek live prawn which are pre-rigged weedless and cheap ($10-$12). You really have to try hard to lose those.