Lake Leake (Tasmania) fishing from shore

Hello everyone!

I'm off for another trip and this time will be staying near Lake Leake in Tasmania for a couple of days. Will take my trout setup with spinnerbaits and a couple of rapala lures. From what I can see on the map, the only accessible area is near the dam in North-West and maybe part of South edge near the boat ramp. From memory (I've been there about 10 years ago) the lake is very shallow and with underwater debris in North-West, so not sure if it's a good idea to fish in that area. And it's hard to tell whether the coast is walkable or it's just impenetrable bush.

Has anyone tried fishing there without a boat? Any recommendations on where to approach the lake? As an alternative, maybe some decent trout streams in the area?

Cheers!

I don't have any location specific advice, I'm yet to fish in Tas.

Generally though, I'd say the trout would be holding closer to the dam wall at this time of year. A couple of rods rigged with powerbait should get some result.

It might also be worth flicking lures in the river below the dam wall. Often the first few pools below a dam hold some good fish.

57 minutes ago, R E G I C Y C L E said:

I don't have any location specific advice, I'm yet to fish in Tas.

Generally though, I'd say the trout would be holding closer to the dam wall at this time of year. A couple of rods rigged with powerbait should get some result.

It might also be worth flicking lures in the river below the dam wall. Often the first few pools below a dam hold some good fish.

Only lures in the lake are allowed unfortunately. 

Yes, I've noticed the small river - I probably will try scrambling along it if lake doesn't produce...