Where Now?

Outnumbered

following on from the contamination thread, what are the plans/ thoughts of all you raiders who usually fish sydney harbour? will you keep fishing it or go elsewhere? if so where will you go?

while boaties will still be able to fish some pretty good areas what will you land based fisho's do now?

Guest lbgking

I usualy throw back 95% of my catch anyway as the wife doesn't eat fish. I think this will put extra pressure on Botany Bay, the Hawkesbury and Pittwater for both rec and commercial fishing.

However it will give the harbour a break and provide some great sportsfishing over the next few months and probably the basis of a bumper season next year.

Does anybody know if the harbour commercial fisherman are being compensated for the closure or do they have to travel futher and clean out other areas?

I'm with you Captain and will stick to my normal routine when fishing the Parra / Harbour.

West of Gladesville, catch and release.

East of Gladesville, take one fish for dinner if the mood takes me.

Your right Captain, this stuff has been around for ages and I'm still kicking without growing an extra eye in the middle of my forehead so I reckon we'll all survive OK.

Cheers

I'm with you Captain and will stick to my normal routine when fishing the Parra / Harbour.

West of Gladesville, catch and release.

East of Gladesville, take one fish for dinner if the mood takes me.

Your right Captain, this stuff has been around for ages and I'm still kicking without growing an extra eye in the middle of my forehead so I reckon we'll all survive OK.

Cheers

Dave I'd say that its not one of those immediately recognizable illnesses you'd get.........

more like the effect of the sun on your skin which is of course accumulative and over time can lead to dire consequenses.........I doubt that makes you or anyone feel better but I reckon better safe than sorry

Hey Clutch, how's it going! :thumbup:

That's a very good and valid point however I reckon I get more bad stuff in my body breathing the car and truck fumes (or when someone blows smoke in my face) walking down Pitt Street in Sydney's CBD than I would from eating the occasional flatty or leather jacket from the harbour.

I eat very few fish from esturaries actually. I mainly wait till I can get outside with my mate Geoff, especially when the Chinamen Leatherjakets are about - yum, bloody yum!!

I agree with your point that these things can build up over time, I just think that eating the occasional fish is the least of my worries, especially since I don't drink, smoke or chase bad women!! Man... I need a bad habit :074:

And speaking of fish... have you been out lately, I've been looking forward to a report of huge kingies towing your tinnie all around the place!! :074::074:

Cheers

David.

Some interesting info' on Dioxins:

look at site

http://www.idph.state.il.us/envhealth/factsheets/dioxin.htm

Dioxin exposure causes a severe form of skin rash called chloracne, which results in small, pale yellow skin lesions that may last from weeks to years. Dioxins can cause short-term liver dysfunctions without any visible symptoms. These include changes in metabolism and enzymatic activity in the liver, which are similar to those resulting from the consumption of alcoholic beverages.

In animal studies, dioxins have caused nerve damage, birth defects, increased incidence of miscarriages and significant changes to the immune system. Studies have shown that reproductive, immune and nervous systems of the developing fetus and children are more sensitive and susceptible to dioxin toxicity. Exposure to large amounts of dioxins over a short period of time, or continuous low-level exposure over an extended period can cause cancer and other severe immune deficiency effects in animals; however, there is not sufficient information from human studies to establish these health effects in people. Although the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency has classified dioxins as a probable human carcinogen (cancer causing chemical); there is not sufficient evidence to prove that dioxins cause cancer from exposure to the low levels normally found in the environment. One dioxin, 2,3,7,8-tetrachlorodibenzo-p-dioxin (TCDD) is listed as a known human carcinogen and all the others as probable human carcinogens

Guest fishrunner

I'll still be fishin it, don't take many fish home anyway.

This time of year I'm usually outside the heads anyway.

cheers